August Recap

August Recap

Where did August go? I swear it just started. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I'm trying a new format for my monthly recap. It's going to combine the book review post and monthly recap and hopefully have some sort of order. Anyway, let's get to it.

Also, sorry this post is up a day late, but yesterday was my birthday and I didn't want to post. So there's my excuse.



What I Did

• To be honest, this month has probably been the hardest of the whole year. Starting this job has been really hard for me, plus on top of that, my brother had an accident in which he nearly lost his finger, right on the day before I started work. It was lovely. *voice drips with sarcasm* Things are starting to get easier, but I'm still working on adjusting and not worrying and doing things at home. But I am so thankful for all the people who have been here encouraging and helping me.

• So yeah, I started my job. It's at Marshalls and I won't say I love it, but I don't hate it, if you know what I mean. There are some nice people there and it's a good work environment.

• We've still had time for some fun stuff, despite everything going on. We went to lunch with some friends, we went to a free summer movie, and went swimming a few times. So it hasn't been all bad. Just hard.

Books

This is one of the new sections. I'm going to show my favorite and least favorite reads from this month, then list the others with links to my Goodreads reviews. Reading has been slow this month, for obvious reasons, but I've still gotten in some, so that's good.


Favorite Book


A Quite Girl in a Noisy World- Debbie Tung

Why I Loved It: It came to me at just the right time and spoke to my soul. It gave me confirmation that I'm not alone in some of the things I feel as an introvert. But anyone can enjoy this book, which is why it's great. It speaks to lots of people.

Least Favorite Book


Spider-Gwen: Long Distance by Jason Latour

Why I Didn't Like It: It was a conglomeration of comics that didn't seem to go together and weren't very good. The only one worth reading is the one where Spider-Gwen and Wolverine (the girl version) get their minds switched.

Also Read


Movies

• For starters, I finally saw Infinity War. Why, Marvel? How could you do this to us? Also, why didn't Cap get more screen time? I have a lot of questions. (Did you cry when you watched it? I didn't, but some of my family did.)

• I also watched some new movies and some old ones besides the above. They were all varying degrees of good, but none I would want to tell everyone to watch or something.

New movies include:
Paddington 2
G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra
Max Steel
Ghostbusters
To All the Boys I've Loved Before

• Also, my mom, my sister, and me are watching through Downton Abbey. We're only at the end of season two, so please no spoilers. I'm really enjoying it. (Is it wrong to say especially the clothes?)

Blog

• In spite of everything, I have managed to keep up with blogging and blog social media. (Although for some reason my IG followers keep going down, not up? It's weird.)

• My most popular post this month was POV Pet Peeves. It's kind of surprising because I just thought of it as sort of a complaining post. It was fun to write, though.

Music

• I've been listening through the DC universe movie soundtracks this month. It's a lot easier than the MCU because there are only four of them. They just worked well for what I was writing.

• I haven't listened to much new music this month (except a little bit of Fall Out Boy), so here are some songs I'm currently enjoying.

Warrior by Hannah Kerr.



You Say by Lauren Daigle



Natural by Imagine Dragons



Waving Through a Window by Ben Platt



Writing

• I had a goal of finishing my current draft and finishing rewriting (round one) of Lucy's Story. I'm happy to say that as of yesterday, I finished both of those goals. Now I need something new to write or edit.

• The Warrior and the Wizard came up to over 56k, six thousand more words than my goal. I'm really happy because I almost never go that far over my goal. I really love the way it came out.

• Lucy's Story came up short but it came out better than draft one. Still needs a lot of work, and a better title, but it's progress.

Art

• Due to the aforementioned business, I haven't done much art this month. I drew Doctors eleven (my favorite!) and twelve and that's about it.



Geek News

This is another new section I'm trying out, to share geek news I've found this month.

• Did you hear about the new Star Wars Episode 9 casting? Dominic Monaghan and Matt Smith. I am so excited to see what roles they'll be playing, especially since Matt Smith is supposed to be in a "key role".

• There's also been some more Wreck-It Ralph news, like Gal Gadot playing a racer and the Disney Princess's lounge wear. I can't wait to see this movie.

I'm sure there's more, but I don't remember. I'll try to write things down next month when I see them.

September Thoughts

• I need to start a new writing project. Maybe I'll prep for NaNoWriMo? But I don't have as much to do because I'm writing the third book in my trilogy. I'll find something to work on.

• I hope to get back into doing more stuff I enjoy. And working on my time management. It's trickier than ever now.

• I'm finishing up my Doctor Who project next month with Jodie's Doctor. I'll have to find something else to occupy my time, maybe working on some other projects.



How was August for you? What are you currently listening to? Any writing goals accomplished? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Writing Lessons from Wall•E
6 Things to Do While Watching Videos


Comments

  1. Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry your August was hard. I hope September is a lot easier for you. :-) I loved your drawing of the 11th doctor!!! Yay you watched Infinity War! I did not cry, but I know a lot of people who did. I loved IW. <333 I am so hyped for Star Wars Episode 9!!! :-D Congrats on your writing goals!!! That's super great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope September goes better for me too. I liked Infinity War, but I hate that ending. Maybe I'll have to watch it again to see what I think a second time.

      Delete
  2. Aw, I'm sorry your August wasn't the greatest. =( I cried multiple times during Infinity War, and there is nothing wrong with the lovely costumes in Downton being one of your favorite things. Downton Abbey is my favorite television show, so I won't spoil it for you. =)

    Have a great September! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so heartless because I didn't cry during Infinity War. It's not that I wasn't sad, it's just I don't cry easily over movies. I'm glad you also enjoy Downton and I can't wait to continue. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts