How to Set Up Your Bullet Journal

How to Set Up Your Bullet Journal

2019 is just around the corner (*screams into the void*). If you have a bullet journal, like I do, then you're probably going to be setting up a new one for the new year. Or you may be new to bullet journaling and interested in giving it a try. Either way, today we're going to be talking about how to set up a new journal. So get out your stationary supplies and a cup of whatever drink you like so we can get started.



Decide what you want

Before you can even start setting up a new journal, you need to decide what things to include in it. Do you want to begin with your yearly goals? A bucket list? Skip all the peripherals and just make a planner? You should also think about what sort of things to put in it to fit your needs. A basic planner layout? Mood trackers? Collections of all sorts?

The wonderful thing about a bullet journal is that you can make it however you want. You might start the year with one type of layout and decide it won't work for you. Then you can try something new the next month. It's always flexible and I've tried plenty of different things.

If you don't know what you want, try doing some research on setting up a bullet journal. There are tons of great articles and videos out there. If you're new to it, I suggest starting very simply so you aren't overwhelmed. If you're not, have fun and maybe try something new.

Get some supplies

The first thing you need for a bujo is obviously, a notebook to use. You can either make do with a notebook you have lying around, buy a regular notebook at the store, or get yourself the official notebook. You can also go with lined, dotted, or blank. I prefer dotted myself.

Next, you'll need writing supplies. Everyone has their own pen preference, but I suggest felt-tipped, especially if you want something that dries quickly and won't smear. You can also used normal old Crayola markers or whatever you have that won't bleed through too much.

The beginning (index, numbering, future log)

Now you're ready to start setting up. Most bullet journals start off with an index. It's a way to keep track of where everything is, a very helpful thing when you have a two hundred page notebook. It's one of those things I think everyone should have in their bujo. If you have a notebook with already numbered pages, then you don't need to worry about hand-numbering them, but if not, now is the time to start writing numbers.

The traditional bujo then has a future log, showing each month of the year and sometimes adding events that will happen in each month. This can be useful, but I don't use mine that much. I think I'm personally going to go for a simpler version this year. And of course, like everything, you could just leave it out.

Goals and yearly plans


Now is when you get to the fun part. You get to decide what sort of spreads you want to start your journal off with. There are so many out there, you could go crazy with them. Pinterest is overflowing with ideas if you need them. I suggest just picking a few choice ones. Here's a few ideas you could go with.

• Yearly goals
• 2019 to-do
• Bucket list
• Birthdays
• Yearly events

I personally like opening my bujo with a yearly goals spread, just so I can have that right there when I open her up. It reminds me of what I want. I also tend to pick a word of the year, a word I want to live by in that year, and I put that on this page too.


Monthly/weekly/daily spreads

Once you've finished those, you're ready to set up your first month. Monthly spreads are also a highly personalized thing, but you at least need a calendar and a weekly spread where you can write your daily to-dos.

If you're going to add things like habit or mood trackers, now is the time to do them. Then it's on to the final part, the weekly or daily spreads. For myself, I prefer making a planner look for my weekly spread, with an additional box for my weekly goals.

But there are tons of ways to set it up that will work for you. Just search Pinterest for weekly spread ideas. Or, if you want something simpler, you could go for the traditional bujo style of a sort of daily list. It takes up less space if you have a smaller journal too.



I hope this helps you in setting up your bullet journal for next year and I personally can't wait to get started on mine. Remember, you don't have to follow any guidelines for it. Your bujo is meant to be exactly what you need.



Do you have a bullet journal? Would you be interested in trying one? How do you set up yours? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Bullet Journal Tips
Bullet Journal Year One: Likes, Dislikes, and Thoughts


Comments

Popular Posts