Why You Should Watch Old Movies

Why You Should Watch Old Movies

One of the things I miss the most during this pandemic and time of upheaval is movie theaters. There's nothing like the feeling of going and sitting in a dark room and forgetting the world for two hours. Theaters might give me anxiety, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them.

But now new movies, unless released on a streaming service, are almost non-existent. I miss them terribly. However, this has freed me up to have time to catch up on some movies I've been wanting to see, as well as watching some classics through streaming that I haven't seen before.

In this post I will give you five convincing reasons why you should consider giving older movies a try (besides the fact that there isn't anything else to watch). I will also include examples if you're looking for some new movies to try. These points don't apply to all old movies, as there are plenty of horrible or weird old ones just like new ones. Also, when I say old, I don't mean silent pictures, more pre-2000s.


Classic

There are plenty of classic films out there that are classic for a reason. There are others I'm not sure where the hype came from (the original Terminator, anyone? Or 2001 Space Odyssey?). I'm always interested in trying new to me movies that are well known and trying to see why that is. Sometimes it's obvious, other times, not so much.

Examples:

Footloose

Singin' in the Rain

Humorous

I don't know about anyone else, but I find a lot of older movies funnier than the new ones. I don't know what they did different with humor. Maybe it's the slapstick. You notice nobody seems to use slapstick anymore? Not to say there aren't good jokes anymore, but most people think that dropping the F-bomb is funnier than a well played gag.

Examples:

Clue

Men in Black

Time Capsules

I always love watching older movies for the fun of seeing different eras on screen. Hearing songs that were new at the time, or seeing tech that's old now, but was hip then. And don't forget the slang. It's a great glimpse into the past, not only for time periods, but with actors too. Through film, their legacy and younger years can be preserved.

Examples:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Home Alone

Well-Written

I find a lot more older movies are better written than the ones we have today. Maybe because they didn't pump them out trying to make as much money as we do today. Maybe they just had better writers. I've especially noticed that a lot of film series seemed better back then. I don't know what they differently, but maybe someone else does.

Examples:

The Karate Kid

Back to the Future

Creative

Filmmakers today have a lot of freedom with the advancement of CGI, mo-cap, and other technological stuff. Before all that, they had to use a lot of practical, in camera effects that are awesome to watch years later. Some don't stand the test of time, but many truly do and make you question how they managed it. It's worth it to watch older movies just to see that sort of stuff. (Or the failures therein.)

Examples:

A New Hope

Jurassic Park


What are some of your favorite older movies? Why do you watch them (besides lack of new content)? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Movies I Can Always Watch

The Best Book to Movie Adaptations

Comments

  1. I love older movies. I love to see how they dressed at the time, it can give you a good idea. Only if it was made in the same time as it was set though. Some of my favorite old movies are some 70s movies like The Million dollar Duck. Or Now You See Him Now You Don't.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen either of those, but they sound fun. Movies seemed to be a lot cleaner back then too

      Delete
  2. Yes! Singin' in the Rain is my all time favorite movie followed by A New Hope! Those are so good, nothing has beat them so far. I've been watching Men in Black for as long as I can remember, it's so funny! I've been thinking about Back to the Future a lot recently and now want to rewatch. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved Back to the Future and Men in Black when I watched them in the last year. I don't know why I haven't seen them sooner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts