May 2023 Recap

May 2023 Recap

May disappeared in a blink. I still think it's March, yet here we are, approaching summer. It's been very hazy where I live due to the Canada fires, which is kind of pretty if it wasn't smoke. Let's go ahead and recap May.


• At the very end of April, some friends and my mom and sisters went to Chincoteague Island for a few days. It rained one day, but it was still a fun, relaxing time.





• My brother graduated high school, so I took his graduation photos in downtown Annapolis. I can't believe how old my siblings and I are getting.

Post photoshoot treat



• My sister and I went to Beetlejuice! It was my first time going to a live musical, and a little bit anxiety inducing, but it was also amazing. The cast was great, the sets were amazing, and it was just so cool to see all the songs I knew so well performed live.





• Last week, I sent my laptop to a repair man in hopes of fixing some glitches I noticed. Unfortunately, he didn't find anything, so hopefully whatever updates and such he did fixed it. But that did leave me without a laptop for over a week. I didn't plan on that, but it was a good opportunity to trust God and take some downtime (whether I wanted it or not).

• Learning to trust God has been a big theme this month for me. I've been dealing with a lot of stress, anxiety, and worry about money, Realm Makers, and work. I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to fly to Missouri alone or that I won't have enough money for all the things I want to do. But my mom has been a great help, reminding me to put my trust in God and remain faithful, even when I can't see Him at work.


I, Robot- Isaac Asimov (4 stars)

Padawan- Kristen White (4 stars)

The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde (3 stars)

The Tattooist of Auschwitz- Heather Morris (4 stars)

The Adweek Copywriting Handbook- Jo Sugarman (5 stars)

Bravely- Maggie Stiefvater (5 stars)

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 2- Tomohito Oda (4 stars)

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 3- Tomohito Oda (4 stars)

The Bellmaker- Brian Jacques* (5 stars)

Know Your Money, Know Yourself- Rachel Cruz (4 stars)


Attack of the Clones (our pick for Star Wars Day)

Meet the Robinsons (a classic)

Hercules (it never gets old)

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (a great, hilarious, campy spy movie)

Pokémon Detective Pikachu (I just needed to see Ryan Reynolds as a fluffy monster again, okay?)

La La Land (I forgot how good this movie was until I watched it again)

Ticket to Paradise (fun to revisit)

Raiders of the Lost Arc (finally showing my youngest brother Indiana Jones)

The Amazing Spider-Man (I don't care what anyone says, I love this movie)

Pitch Perfect (a great movie for singing, bad for logic)

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (another movie with the little bro)


Querying: No news.

Writing: My new schedule for writing and platform work went pretty well in May. I got a good start on Lost Magic edits, which is hopefully getting better by the day. My short story wasn't accepted to the magazine, but I'm not going to release it yet for other reasons *raises eyebrows*.

Platform: I finished redesigning my newsletter and I love the new look. Now I just need to update everything else. I also took the plunge and official changed my Instagram handle from rsloft to rachelmeyerauthor. It wasn't an easy decision, but a necessary one.

Realm Makers: I found two roommates last month and got the hotel room squared away. I also got the first draft of my proposal cranked out. It still needs editing, but I've got someplace to start now.


May posts:






As usual, I participated in Mermay all month. So keep an eye out for that recap next week.


• My month is mostly dedicated to prepping for Realm Makers. Hopefully the more prepared I am, the less of an anxious mess I'll be.

• I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Indiana, so that should be fun.

• It's Awesome Con month! There's a lot of cool guests this year, so we'll see how many we get to see.


How was your May? Did you have an unexpected things happen? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts