Why I Plan to Traditionally Publish


Anyone in traditional publishing will tell you it's a hard world right now.

Agents inboxes are overflowing with queries, meaning potential authors have to do more and write better to stand out. (And yet we keep getting trash books, but that's another problem for another post.)

AI is a big problem, just like everywhere else. Publishing and books are getting more expensive. They don't want to take risks. The discrimination against white, Christian authors is real.

These days, indie publishing is easier than ever. So why am I still pursuing traditional publishing?

It's a good question, and one I've found myself wondering as I work on querying and hunting down agents. But these are the answer I keep coming back to.

#1: I want to have my books in bookstores and libraries

One of my biggest goals with publishing is to write clean books for teens in a world increasingly filled with garbage books. Part of that, to me, is getting my books in bookstores and libraries across the country where a browsing teen might stumble across them.

Indie authors can also get their books in libraries and bookstores, but it's a lot more work. I'd rather work with a publishing house that will help get my books in those stores more easily.

#2: We need Christian influences in publishing

Just because the publishing world is hostile to us doesn't mean we should abandon it. I want to help share the light of the gospel to the people I will hopefully work with one day in the publishing world. I want to put good, Christian written books in their catalogs.

I know it won't be easy, publishing as a Christian writer. I hope God brings good Christian people in my path, but I also know I'll probably end up working with people who want me to compromise on my morals and change my writing. I'll have to stand up for myself and my work. But it's a war I don't mind fighting.

#3: It appeals to me more

Indie publishing isn't for everyone. And I'm one of those people it just doesn't feel like a good fit for. I don't want to handle cover design, finding an editor, formatting, and all the things indie authors do.

When I first got into writing, indie publishing was considered cheap and only for books that weren't good enough to "make it" in the real publishing world. Now, I feel the mood has shifted the other way. Traditional publishing is so hard, so why don't you just indie publish and have your book out now instead?

I get that. Some people don't want to work through the hoops leading to publishing, from finding an agent to getting a book deal. It can take years to get your book published. But I don't mind waiting and working on growing my writing skills in the meantime.

I've also given thought to what happens if I can't find an agent. If it really seems like God isn't opening doors in the traditional publishing world, I'm not entirely against maybe trying a smaller publisher that doesn't require an agent or publishing my books myself. But it's kind of a last resort for me.

So for now, I plan to keep working and improving. Keep querying, even when it's discouraging. And keep praying that God leads me to the write people at the right time so my books can get published and bring glory to Him.

Comments

Popular Posts