Take Time For You

Take Time For You

With NaNoWriMo coming up, it's a great time to discuss self-care. With our busy lives and all we try to get done in a day, sometimes (most times, if we're honest) our selves fall by the wayside. And that can be bad.

We've been given these beautiful bodies and minds, and when we don't stop to take care of them, things can go wrong. Depression and stress can start to consume you. Your physical health can go downhill, resulting in illness, bad attitudes, and sleep loss. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, I just know from personal experience. That's why we need to take time to take care of ourselves, even if it feels like we shouldn't.

Let Go of Guilt

Before you can enjoy some you-time, you have to let go of the guilt that wants to show up when we stop working. The voices that say you shouldn't be relaxing right now, or reminds you of your massive to-do list, or whatever it is that tries to drive you away from de-stressing.

This is the hardest part for me personally. I have to sit there and tell those voices "shut up". I need this time, I need a break. I am going to enjoy myself. That's much more important than the work I have to do. I especially have to fight that when I spend time playing games or something like that with my siblings. I want to feel guilty that I'm not working, but then I remind myself that family time is much more important in the long run than time spent working.

Take A Break

"Run away with us for the summer, let's go upstate." Sorry, it fits. But it is a good lesson too. If Hamilton had taken a break from his work, he wouldn't have had the problems he had, and maybe even become one of our presidents. (You know what I'm talking about.)

You-time doesn't have to be long. It can simply be a ten or fifteen minute break where you read a book, lay down, or play a game of solitaire. Set a timer if you want. It doesn't need to be a long time, just enough to give your mind a break and you a chance to unwind.

If you're encountering a problem in your manuscript, video, whatever, this is an excellent time to take a few minutes break. When you come back, your head will be clearer and you'll be in the mindset to tackle the problem again.

Do What Makes You Happy

You-time is when you should do things that make you happy. The most relaxing thing in the world is something you enjoy. What is that for you?

For me, it's watching a movie or reading a book. Drawing something I'm passionate about. Looking at nature. Writing something I enjoy. Dancing around like a crazy person. Think about what sort of things you enjoy and relax while doing. Make a list if you have to.

Work Out

When you're feeling down or unmotivated, try working out. Doing so not only helps lift your spirits, it also gives you the benefits of getting a stronger body. Yoga can help you get more flexible and calm you if you're feeling stressed. There are many pluses to exercise, so I suggest you give it a try.

Don't worry if you've never worked out before. You can start any time and there are tons of workouts out there, so you're sure to find something you enjoy. Running, dancing, kickboxing, yoga, pilates, jazzercise, and zumba are just a few of them. I enjoy Blogilates workouts and yoga myself.

You-Time Suggestions

If you're not sure what to do to have some you-time, here's a list of some things to try. Or if you do know what you like to do, maybe you can find something new to try.

• Read a book. There's nothing more relaxing. Plus, it helps you get more reading in.

• Watch a movie. Whatever is your favorite genre. Comedy? Action? Fantasy? Or try something new.

• Watch TV. Binge your favorite show. Don't worry, no one will judge.

• Play a game. It can be a physical board game or a computer or phone game. I'm partial to Disney Emoji Blitz myself. I enjoy sitting down to play it for something to relax me.

• Listen to your favorite music. Whatever you like, no matter how weird. (Any other classical music nerds out there?)

• Dance! I don't care if you can or can't. Just let go and have fun. Do it in your bedroom if you don't want anyone to see you.

• Draw or do other art. Paint. Paper cut-outs (super relaxing). Photography.

• Create something. Do a craft or make a clay figure.

• Bake or cook. Making food can be an amazing thing that has the bonus end of having something delicious at the end.

• Workout. I said this already, but I'll say it again. It's so good.

• Stretch. Stretching is relaxing for me. I turn on some music and push my body to it's limits.

• Color. Adult coloring books, or even kids coloring books are super relaxing. Do whatever kind makes you happy.

• Spend time with friends. That always makes me feel better.

• Build with Legos. No, you're never too old for Lego. Who do you think designs the sets? Adults, that's who. It can both be fun and stretch your imagination.

• Watch YouTube videos. A good Studio C run or whatever you like is great for a mood lifter.

Let's talk! What tips do you have for self-care? What are your favorite you-time activities? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. Amen to all of the above. As someone just coming off of a bad situation and starting to heal herself, this is super important.

    I do a lot of different self-care stuff. I typically do all of what you said, though. Exercise sometimes helps, but I haven't found a program that channels the energy right without making angry.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you went through whatever you did, but I'm also happy that you're out of it now. I hope you find some exercise that works for you. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love this post. Fantastic ideas here! XD I usually exercise\stretch, read, listen to music (classical is the best!), watch a movie, eat chocolate (what can I say? It helps. ;-D), and stare out the window and think. Showers help too. ;-D
    Thanks for the post! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Chocolate is the best mood lifter. I never thought of using showers before, but it's a good idea.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts