Fiction and Escapism

Fiction and Escapism

You sometimes hear of books and movies as being ways to escape the world and our problems. That grates me. While it true in a way, it also isn't. Confused? Don't worry, I'm going to explain all that, because this post is about fiction and how it isn't really escapism.


What is escapism?

Before we can talk about how fiction isn't escapism, we need to define what escapism is. Accord to Google, escapism is "the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy".

The word is generally used to describe when people don't want to face what's going on around them, whether that's bad or simply boring, and ignore the world. Or at least that's how I see it. I could be wrong and feel free to correct me if I am.

Why fiction isn't an escape

We've been telling stories since the beginning of time. We've been inspired to write and create and pass on stories from person to person. Stories have been our way of sharing history, important lessons, and our folklore for centuries.

Storytelling evolved from oral telling, to writing, and then to even creating new stories. Now novels and movies of all types populate our world. Even the weirdest thing you might want to read about is probably out there. And even more new, beautiful stories are coming.

The reason why I think fiction isn't escapism is because most of us, when we write, tend to write about things that are important to us, intentionally or not. There are plenty of fluffy stories out there with no real sustenance to them, but there are twice as many that cover topics that are important, like family, friendship, religion, and more.

If fiction was just a way to escape our problems, then why would anyone write or read a book like A Monster Calls, that's so beautiful and also tears your heart out? Or dive into the Lord of the Rings books that have deeper topics than most people realize? We wouldn't. Fiction is a way to express ourselves and make ourselves think. Or at least that's what it's supposed to be.

But sometimes, it is

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I don't want to think. I just want some fluffy romance that makes me go "aw" and leave it at that. And I think that's okay, as long as it doesn't make up the majority of your reading. It's like dessert. Fine, but you can't live on it.

I find there is especially a lot of stories especially in the movie world that are not much more than a fun adventure with no meat to it. That's one of my big problems with action movies. They spend so much time blowing things up that they forget to action give the story a theme or the character development. And while I love a good action movie as much as the next person, I would love them even more if they included those things.

Final thoughts

I'm not saying that using a book or movie to escape for a while is a bad thing. I do it, and I'm sure plenty of other people do too. There's nothing like a funny movie to keep your mind off whatever's going on at the moment.

However, I am saying that shouldn't be the primary use or way to view fiction. Our stories can change the world. What we write can influence people and show them there is hope even in the darkest of times. And we need to use that power for all it's worth.

So go forth and write stories, fluffy or not. But keep in mind the purpose you have for your fiction while you do. Do you want people to just have fun with your story, or do you want them to think? Then do whichever you decide with gusto.


What are your thoughts on this topic? What's your favorite type of fluffy thing to read or watch? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Thoughts on Worldbuilding
Using Movies to Learn Writing

Comments

  1. I do view fiction as a sort of escapism - it definitely helps me forget my problems. Good post!

    Catherine

    P.S. Your post for RW was published : http://www.rebelliouswriting.com/2018/06/6-ways-to-find-clean-books-guest-post.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts