Why Rapunzel and Eugene Are Wholesome

Why Rapunzel and Eugene Are Wholesome

I recently finished watching Tangled: The Series. It's a TV show set after the events of Tangled, but before Rapunzel and Eugene get married. I started watching it over a year ago and fell in love right away.

First of all, both main characters are voiced by their original actors, which makes their characters that much better. Second, the songs are written by Alan Menkin, who also wrote the songs for many other Disney movies. Third, I love the animation style, which is beautiful.

Also, did I mention Jeremy Jordan is in this show? And he gets to sing! Varian is one of my favorite characters for this reason.


Although I will admit, I'd like it better if each season was only twelve or thirteen episodes. The plot is good, but there are a lot of filler episodes that feel like they're there for the kids. But anyway, that's not what we're talking about today.

Today I want to gush about how wonderfully they wrote Rapunzel and Eugene as a couple in this show. They're one of the most solid on-screen couples I've ever seen. I love it, so today I'm sharing all the parts I love about them.



#1: They communicate

Something that always frustrates me in movies is when characters don't talk to each other. They make conjectures and get angry over things that could be fixed with a simple conversation.

Rapunzel and Eugene don't do this. There are a few instances of misunderstanding, but they quickly get over it by having a conversation. Relationships are built on communication, not guess work. It's so refreshing to see that in this show.

#2: They don't break up

Classic sequel maneuver- break up the romantic leads for unnecessary extra conflict. Tangled: The Series doesn't do this and I'm so happy.

Rapunzel and Eugene have their ups and downs, but they don't immediately break up because of it. Instead, they work through their differences liked adults. I think it's important for kids to see relationships like this so when they grow up, they know what a good romance looks like.


#3: They're self-sacrificing

Rapunzel and Eugene are both willing to sacrifice what they want for the other's happiness. Eugene is willing to fight anyone and everyone who would hurt his princess. Rapunzel is ready to stop any bandit who might want to hurt her ex-thief.

Both of them are still themselves, but their relationship also makes them better. Rapunzel tempers Eugene's ego. Eugene gives Rapunzel the support she needs to make hard decisions.

#4: They encourage each other

There are a lot of ups and downs in the show. They face challenges and impossible odds. But Rapunzel and Eugene encourage each other through it all.

The simple faith they have in each other is so touching. Especially Eugene for Rapunzel. Every time she doubts her abilities, he has an encouraging word to lift her up.


#5: They're precious

You don't want to know how many times I grinned like an idiot to myself while watching this show. Rapunzel and Eugene are just so cute. Come on, he calls her sunshine. Isn't that adorable?

Every time they interact, I'm over here cooing. They took everything I loved about them in the movie and expanded on it. Together, they become better than they were separately.


If you're a big Tangled fan, I highly recommend checking out this series. (All three seasons are available on Disney+.)  It's super fun and made me laugh and smile a lot.


Have you seen Tangled: The Series? Who is your favorite wholesome fictional couple? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. I've heard such great things about this show. I really need to get around to actually watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tangled: The Series is awesome, I love that they gave us more time to spend with Rapunzel and Eugene as a couple. 💙
    Their relationship is so sweet.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the cutest. It made me squee so many times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts