DIY (do it yourself) is a popular thing right now. People always are giving you ideas to do ahem*pinterest*ahem, but why should you take the time to do it? There are so many excuses not to. Here are 5 reasons you should anyway.
1. DIY is fun. It's great to be able to take some time and make something. Even if it doesn't work out right, you'll still have a good time.
2. It gives you the opportunity to do something with your hands. With all the ready made things available, we rarely bother to make things ourselves. But there is nothing like the feeling you get looking at what you just made. It feels awesome.
3. It helps with problem solving. I've often run into a problem when trying to make a project. We don't have the right materials, the design I tried didn't work, or things like that. You've got to learn to roll with the punches and find a way around the problem.
4. It helps you learn new skills. I've learned to do a lot of things through trying things myself. With a good tutorial, learning a new skill can be easy-peasy.
5. Compliments! When you wear a piece of clothing or jewelry you made yourself and a friend says, "I love 'insert item here'", there's nothing cooler than being able to say, "I made it". People will be totally impressed.
Despite all these good reasons to do it, many people often make excuses anyway. Here are several and my response to them. 1. It might not work. If it doesn't, at least you tried. Maybe you can find away around what's stopping you. 2. I'm not creative enough. You don't have to be. That's why people make tutorials and how to's, so the less creative people can make things. 3. It's too hard. If you never try you never know. Start small and work your way up.
So all that being said, go out there and make something. Have fun!