Let's Talk About: Bethany Hamilton

Let's Talk About: Bethany Hamilton

I don't remember when I first heard of Bethany Hamilton. I've know about her for a long time, that's for certain. Ever since I learned of her and her story, she's been inspiring me to do more than I thought I could. It's been a while since I did one of these Let's Talk About posts, so she seemed like the perfect one to discuss.

Who Is She?

Back in 2003, Bethany Hamilton was just a normal surfer. She was pretty good. Until a fateful day when she was attacked by a shark while surfing and lost her arm. Bethany survived, and even more amazing than that, she started surfing again. With one arm! Not only did she figure out how to do it with one less arm, she's good. She's won lots of meets since then.

Bethany has become an icon to people all over the world. From young women to amputees, she inspires people to push past what they think they can do and show the world they aren't weak. In 2013, Bethany married Adam Dirks and they now have a super adorable son named Tobias.


What Makes Her Inspiring?

• She's a Christian, and unashamed of it. If you read her books, she's just brimming with her faith. She's often talked about how it helped her get over losing her arm to the shark.

• She reminds me that I can be strong. If she can do things like fixing her hair, tying her shoes, or exercises with one arm, how much more can I do with two? When you think you can't, remember people like her that have it so much harder and try more.

• She's positive. It's hard to go through something like losing your arm, but she's managed to remain cheerful and positive through it all.

I would suggest you check out her books, Soul Surfer and Body and Soul. The first is about her experience with losing her arm, the second is a book for girls that encourages a healthy, faith-filled life. You should also watch the film made about her, also named Soul Surfer. It will probably make you cry, but it's super good.

Let's talk! Have you heard of Bethany Hamilton? If you have, is there any way she inspires you? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. I have heard of her, but I have never read her books or seen her movie. She is inspiring!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out her books and movie. They're really good. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts