Books I Want to See as Movies

Books I Want to See as Movies

Despite the amount of books turned into movies every year, they never seem to adapt the books I want to see. Instead they pick some boring adult book or another version of Little Women that will be totally feminist and unlike the book. (Can you tell I have strong feelings on this topic?)

So I thought it would be fun to discuss some books I would love turned into movies and why they would be great. Some of them technically are already movies, but I'm bringing them up because I want an even better adaptation. All I'm asking for with these suggestions is a completely perfect version of my favorites with actors that look the exact way I think they should. Is that too much to ask?

Although am I the only one who reads books because they're going to be a movie, or because I saw the movie was based off a book? I have to compare things, people!




The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden was one of my many favorite books as a child. And before you point it out, yes, there have already been adaptations of this book, but none of them have been very good. What I want is a really good, magical version that stays true to the book. (Although I may have to watch the old 1993 one again since Maggie Smith is in it.) Perhaps there is hope, though, since I saw an article from a bit ago talking about a new version with Colin Firth and Julie Walters.

The Selection

Call me a sap, but I love this series. I think it could make a really cool movie that people who liked things like Miss Congeniality would like. Or maybe they could make a TV show of it. Let's be honest though, the real reason we'd watch would be for the dresses.

Nancy Drew

Another staple of my childhood that no one has yet to actually make a decent adaptation of. The 2007 movie? Not so good. The 2019 one where Nancy rides a skateboard? I don't even want to try it. What I want is a Nancy Drew movie that either perfect adapts her to the modern age like some of the books or Sherlock has, or set in her original time period. So many girls would be made happy by that.

The Hardy Boys

Ah, my other favorite detectives that have yet to make it to the big screen. I would totally love a movie about these brother crime fighters. They have so many cool mysteries and you could make more if you were modernize them. Now I have the urge to re-read them all.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

I feel like I never hear anyone talk about this book, even though it's one of reasons I have a strong love for nautical novels. It seems like the perfect thing to make into a movie. A girl on a voyage who becomes one of the crew, only to have a mutiny happen? It would be so dynamic, and in this age of fierce females, Charlotte fits right in. Just go read the book and see what I mean.

Redwall

Again, this one has been made into a movie and it was pretty good. But I would love to see maybe a whole TV show made up of the adventures. Series of Unfortunate Events style. There are so many stories, characters, and settings that it could be awesome. What do you think, Netflix?

The Silmarillion

So the Tolkien Estate has this book completely tied up so we probably will never be able to see it on the big screen. But a girl can dream, can't she? Someone even came up with a way you could divide it into three movies like the other ones. We could have a whole new generation of heroes and final be able to see how Middle Earth became the place it is in the Hobbit and LoTR.

The Chronicles of Narnia

Specifically books 1, 3, 6, and 7. Two, four, and five have been done plenty. I want to see Narnia created in the Magician's Nephew or see Underland brought to life in the Silver Chair. (But can we cast Tom Baker as Puddleglum again?) I could probably do without The Last Battle, though. It's my least favorite. Netflix has the rights to a new series now and I am terrified about what's going to come out of it.

Gail Carson Levine books

Ella Enchanted was a great movie, even if it was a far cry from the book. But Gail has plenty more books that could be cool movies. The Tale of Two Castles? The Two Princess of Bamarre? Fairest? Just saying, there's lots of cool fairytale inspired stories to chose from and I know people would love them.


Delilah Dirk

I have shouted about my love for this graphic novel series before, but I think they would make a great movie. A sassy and charismatic female lead with a funny but sweet Arabic sidekick. It's got all the potential for a movie. Ah, I can see it now.



This list could probably go on much longer, but I'll stop it there for now. Maybe I'll make a part two sometime if I can think of enough books.



What's a book (or books) that you would love to see on the silver screen? Or a book to movie adaptation that you'd love to see done well? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Death in Books and Movies
Writing Lessons from Rise of the Guardians


Comments

  1. Oooh these are all such great ideas. Particularly Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys! Have you seen the super old black and white Nancy Drew movies? 1920s or 30s I think. They were cute, but not really Nancy...

    Hm. I'd like a good TV show of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. And Treasure Island--I feel like that book should be made into a sweeping piece of cinematographic eye candy, and yet there doesn't seem to be a definitive movie adaption of it. Unless you count Muppets. :)

    Great post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen those versions. Sounds interesting, since it would have been really close to the time she was first published. An updated Treasure Island would be cool too. My personal favorite would have to be the old Disney live action, though. :)

      Delete
  2. YES FOR REDWALL BEING TURNED INTO A MOVIE!!! I would LOVE a movie or mini series based on those books. <333 And the Silmarillion would be AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a mini series would be perfect, especially if they featured a different book each time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts