Best and Worst Books of 2019 So Far

Best and Worst Books of 2019 So Far

Since we're halfway through the year (although I'm still denying it), I thought it would be fun to look back at what I've read so far. Who doesn't love making lists of favorites and least favorites? So far this year I've read 59 books, the longest being Muse of Nightmares. I've had no one star reviews and only two two stars. But enough stats and on to the lists! I'll give you my top five for each category and a mini review.




Best Reads


1. Twice Magic by Cressida Cowell

Wizards of Once was one of my top books last year, and the sequel has again made it to my top reads list. It continues to be an exciting adventure while tackling hard topics you don't often see in kid's books. I can't wait for the next book.


2. Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin

This book broke my heart in so many ways. I never thought I could like Luka from book one, but I loved him in this one, whereas I hated Felix. There was so much cleverness and hard topics. I couldn't put it down. It was a hard read, but so good. Go read it.


3. Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor

I couldn't not add this one to the list. This series deserves every bit of praise that it gets. The prose alone I could go on for probably a whole post, it's so beautiful. But it doesn't stop at beautiful prose, it also has a beautiful story and a wonderful world I want to go live in. We also got a dual storyline that came together perfect and a great theme of love versus hate.


4. A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

This book, specifically the main character, spoke to me in a way I haven't felt in a long time. While we come from very different backgrounds and aren't really that similar, our feelings on topics were super similar. I can't quite describe how it made me feel, but it was a deep connection. Another hard read, even though I loved it. (I'm sensing a theme about my favorite books here. They all make me think.)


5. The Language of Spells by Garret Freymann-Weyr

Another kid's book with depth to it. That's my favorite kind of children's book. Even if it's for a younger audience doesn't mean that it can't have depth. This one has dragons and little girls and forgotten magic that I love. It was so cute and sweet. Plus, it had pictures.


Worst Reads


1. The Forest Queen by Betsy Cornwall

I wrote a whole post that mildly ranted about this book. You can go read that instead of me recaping all my thoughts here.


2. The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth

I really liked the first book of this series. But I hated the second one. Maybe it was wrong timing, or maybe it just wasn't as good as the first one. I thought the plot twist in the middle was unnecessary, and I didn't like how the oracle manipulated everyone just because they could see the future.


3. The Initiation by Ridley Pearson

Of all the Sherlock retellings I've read, I liked this one the least. It was confusing and not very Sherlock-ian. It was set in modern Boston, told from the POV of his little sister, and didn't make a lot of sense. I actually thought this was a fantasy book from the cover.


4. Entwined by Heather Dixon

I mostly didn't like this one because it felt too young for YA to me. I also didn't really like any of the characters or the plot. It was kind of disappointing because I'd heard a lot of people like this, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it just wan't for me.


5. Mirage by Somaiya Daud

Another one I couldn't really connect to and didn't end up liking. I liked the main character and the world but other than that it was just meh to me. It's a pity, because the cover was so pretty and I had good hopes for it.



What are your top reads for this year so far? Have you read any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Best Books of 2018 (So Far)

8 Semi-Scary Books for Halloween


Comments

Popular Posts