Disney Princess and Their Influence

Disney Princess and Their Influence

I have some thoughts on Disney princess and wanted to talk about them, so here we are. It's totally cool if you're not interested in this post and want to wait until I come out with something cooler. It's just nice to get your thoughts out there sometimes. If you do read on, feel free to share your thought in the comments.



Disney princess have been the staple of every little girl's childhood since Snow White in 1937. They are our role models, inspirations, and childhood heroes. They're probably the reason that most of us wanted to be princess in our younger years (and maybe still do. I wouldn't say no to a castle).



And let's not even start on the prince's. They're all so handsome and charming and gentlemanly. Flynn, of course, is my favorite. How can you resist his quick talking charisma? But I'm getting off topic.

Not only have these princess shaped our lives, they've also changed with the times as the years progressed. Take a look at Snow White, for example. She's genteel and skilled in the womanly arts. She wants nothing more than to keep house for the seven dwarves and is happy with that. At that time, that's what women did, and were expected to do as well.

A little further on, we've got the Disney princess of the nineties- Jasmine, Mulan, Belle, and Pocahontas (whose name I can not spell). They're more fierce and independent than the earlier princess like Aurora and Cinderella, going along with the uprise of girls who were more spunky and fearless.

Then we come to the most modern princesses, like Anna, Moana, and most notable to me, the remade Jasmine. These girls are highly motivated and independent. They don't wait for their prince to come and help them out. They see what they want and they go out to find it. Just look at Jasmine alone. She doesn't only want the right man for her, she wants to rule her whole darn country.

If you just compare the songs "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Speechless", you'll see what I'm talking about. The first talks about dreaming of a prince and a castle and a happy marriage forever after. The latter is talking about not being shut down and quiet, but instead standing up and speaking out. It's really interesting to me because they each work so well for the age they came out in, but could never be swapped.


Not that I'm dissing either old princess or new ones. I think they all have things to teach us. It's important that we should remember that women were designed to run the home and be mothers and there's nothing wrong with dreaming of that. But there's nothing wrong with being the sort of person who speaks out or works hard to achieve something either.

My personal two favorite princess are Elsa and Tiana. (Shh, I know Elsa is a queen.) Elsa and I are spirit animals. We're both kind of reclusive, and yet powerful underneath (or at least I hope I am). But I empathize a lot with Tiana because she's had to work hard to get everything she has, much like me.

That's why we need so many diverse princess, representing all types of girls. These princess show us our potential and I think it's important for them to show that to all girls. (Like could we get an alto princess, please? I would love it.) That's one thing I love about Moana. She's not only Polynesian, her body type also steers away from the traditional slim silhouette. She's got thighs people. And a waist you could expect to see on a normal person.

I know this was a bit different than my normal posts, but thanks for bearing with. I enjoyed writing that all out and discussing my thoughts with you, if you decided to read this.



Now that we've reached the end, do you have any thoughts on this topic? Who is your favorite Disney princess? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Skirts and Modesty: A Discussion

Original vs Remake: Cinderella


Comments

  1. Ah, Disney princesses. Bring back some great nostalgic memories. My favorites are definitely Mulan (who isn't a princess but anyway), Rapunzel, and Jasmine (I have not seen the new Aladdin yet but I can't wait to!!!). And I've never thought of that before, they did change as the years went by. :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all great choices (although I will forever wonder about Mulan's princess status). I can't wait to see the new Aladdin either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts