Book Review: Sal and Gabi Break the Universe

Book Review: Sal and Gabi Break the Universe

Sal and Gabi Break the Universe
by Carlos Hernandez


Blurb: How did a raw chicken get inside Yasmany's locker? When Sal Vidon meets Gabi Real for the first time, it isn't under the best of circumstances. Sal is in the principal's office for the third time in three days, and it's still the first week of school. Gabi, student council president and editor of the school paper, is there to support her friend Yasmany, who just picked a fight with Sal. She is determined to prove that somehow, Sal planted a raw chicken in Yasmany's locker, even though nobody saw him do it and the bloody poultry has since mysteriously disappeared. Sal prides himself on being an excellent magician, but for this sleight of hand, he relied on a talent no one would guess . . . except maybe Gabi, whose sharp eyes never miss a trick. When Gabi learns that he's capable of conjuring things much bigger than a chicken--including his dead mother--and she takes it all in stride, Sal knows that she is someone he can work with. There's only one slight problem: their manipulation of time and space could put the entire universe at risk. A sassy entropy sweeper, a documentary about wedgies, a principal who wears a Venetian bauta mask, and heaping platefuls of Cuban food are just some of the delights that await in his mind-blowing novel gift-wrapped in love and laughter.

Cover Review: I almost didn't pick this one up, and I think it's the cover that's the reason. To me, it's not very attention catching. It's a bit unusual and looks different from most other covers. To me, it could have been a bit more dynamic or something.

Plot: The whole plot takes place in about a week, but what an action filled week it is. The story is always moving, pairing great quicker scenes with heartfelt slower ones. I couldn't put it down and didn't want to. I had to see how it ended, and that's my favorite type of book. It was a very unique story that I would love to see more of.

Characters: Sal is our main character, and I thought it was cool that he was diabetic. You don't see a lot of people like that. He was everything I could want- witty, a magician, and knew when to be serious. It was his strong personality and voice that carried the novel so well.

The other character mentioned in the title, Gabi, I didn't like at first. But as Sal grew to like her, so did I. That's masterful writing. You get to know her well as the story progresses. There are lots of other characters that the author manages to make you like and remember, which is impressive.

World: A cool thing about this world is that it's mildly futuristic. Things like robots and self driving cars are a regular thing that no one bats an eye at. It also takes place in I think it was LA, which gives it a great Californian vibe. I also want to go to his school.

Other: There were several other cool things I wanted to mention. The addition of Cuban culture that made the book shine. Lots of people spoke Cuban and he brought the culture to life for me. The fact that Sal is not only a magician (which was well done), but had the ability to open portals between worlds. That I can't wait to see fleshed out more in book two.

Rating: 5 stars 







Have you read this book? What's your last five star read and why? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Book Review: Aru Shah and the End of Time

Book Review: Mr. Lemoncello's Great Library Race

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this book! It sounds super interesting: I'll have to snag a copy if I get a chance!

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It was such a good book. :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts