March Book Reviews

March Book Reviews

March was a much better reading month for me. The majority of books I finished was near the first half of the month, but I had a lot more good ones than last time. I'm also working really hard to finish a big book I've been reading and I think I can get it done by the end of the week. But let's see what else I've read.


Liked Best


Warcross by Marie Lu

Rating: 4 stars

Likes:

• Emika. Or Emi as she goes by. She's super awesome, a hacker, and has rainbow hair. Her arc is great and I love her personality. Plus, her dad was a fashion designer and so she loves clothes as well.

• Warcross and the worldbuilding. It was well thought out in a way that seems plausible. I could see our world ending up there in fifty years or so. It's also fun that most of it took place in Tokyo.

• The Phoenix Riders. Awesome name, awesome team. People of all types and they're very fun. Just wish they had more page time.

• The plot twist. I saw Zero's identity coming from a mile away, but I didn't see the other one. If you've read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dislikes:

• The implications between Roshan and Tremaine. Cool characters on their own, but together, not so much.


The Book of Heroines: Tales of History's Gutsiest Gals by Stephanie Warren Drimmer

Rating: 4 stars

Likes:

• Tons of awesome women. This book covers women from all parts of history, from ancient to today. Peacemakers, warriors, athletes, scientists, it covers them all. Even a few fictional women are thrown in.

• Very inspiring. It's hard not to want to go out and do something awesome after reading this book. It made me want to write more awesome female characters..

Dislikes:

• Could have done without the animal part. The part about female animals seemed a bit weird, but it was a National Geographic book, so to them we're probably related.


Liked Least


The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voigt

Rating: 3 1/2 stars

Likes:

• Fun whodunit mystery. Although I did guess most of the answers long before Max, the main character, did.

• Max's abilities. I didn't like Max very much (more on that in a minute) but I did like his skills. Painting, acting, and a quick mind.

Dislikes:

• Max. He had his nice moments, that's for sure, but for the most part he annoyed me. His parents disappear at the beginning of the book and so he decides that he's going to be independent, even though he's twelve. Most of the book is spent with him acting too big for his britches, even around another girl his age. I just couldn't enjoy him very much.

• Not sure about setting. I was never quite sure when this was set, although it felt Victorian, or where, although it felt sort of like a mini London or something. It's okay to be ambiguous, but I would have liked a little more to help me.



Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger

Rating: 3 stars

Likes:

• Finishing school that teaches what the title says. That part was fun, although I would have liked to see it applied more.

Dislikes:

• Sophronia. This is a YA book, but Sophronia was only 14 and sounded 12. She wasn't the most likable or unlikable character. Just sort of meh. Due to her voice, the book sounded more like a MG novel.

• Not very interesting. The premise was promising, but it failed to deliver. Not much happened, the world was a bit confusing, and it didn't resonate with me.


Other Books

The Glass Spare- Lauren DeStefano (3 1/2 stars)
Ready Player One- Ernest Cline (3 1/2 stars)
Magic and Other Misdemeanors- Michael Buckley (4 stars)

Let's talk! What have you read this month? What's the longest it's taken you to read a book? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

February Book Reviews
January Book Reviews

Comments

Popular Posts