Elements I Love in Books

Elements I Love in Books

There are those elements in books that I will always love and look for. The type that will make me love a book or movie even if it falls short in other places. So today I'm going to share my favorite things that I always look for when I'm reading. Don't forget to share yours in the comments, or make your own post along these lines.


Amazing alternate worlds

A fantasy world that makes me want to go live in it is something I will always love. Bonus points if it's well built and includes magic creatures. I love when my imagination is sparked by other worlds. I also adore sci-fi worlds and alternate Earths. I mean, our world, but with magic? How could you go wrong?

Extra depth

I love it when it a book makes a point. Or has a strong theme that resonates throughout the book. Especially when it's in something I wouldn't expect, like a children's book. When they tackle hard topics and make it relatable to younger audiences, I'm all over it. While I don't mind a good fluffy read, I will always love a book like that.

Cleanliness

If you can write a romance without a sex scene, I'm ecstatic. If you can write a modern novel without cussing, I'm even more over the moon. And if I can find a novel with good morals as well, then I'll probably shout it from the rooftops. Sadly, all of the above is hard to find. That's one reason I write the books I do and love supporting others who write clean fiction.

Characters I can relate to

For some reason, not all books are written with me in mind as an ideal reader. Weird, right? When I do find a book with a main character that speaks to me, then I fall in love. And it's even better if it's a character you would never suspect that with, like with A Very Large Expanse of Sea.

Magical prose

Have I mentioned before how much I love the prose in Strange the Dreamer? Prose like that, full of rich beauty that makes my heart sing will always be my favorite. And I'm talking about purple prose. Just good old fashioned great writing. You can fight me on that.


What are things you look for in books? Do you like any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Oh yes I love books that are clean and have a great theme. I for some reason love certain characters have complicated lives unlike mine, but are a lot like me.

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to pass up a great theme. Characters similar to yourself are cool too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts