8 Book Recommendations Based on 4 TV Shows

8 Book Recommendations Based on 4 TV Shows

I've always enjoyed those posts where they say a book or TV show and then recommend other things based on them. (Here's an example if you don't know what I'm talking about.) I think it's a fun way to find new things you might like, based on the things you already do. Anyway, I thought today I'd try my hand at writing one of these myself. We'll see how it goes, and if you like it, I can try more in the future.


If You Like. . .


Downton Abbey


The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schiltz

In this book, Joan is a simply country girl who becomes hired to a fancy Baltimore house. It has a similar feel to Downton with the focus on the life of a servant in a big house. Plus an emphasis on the fact that they have dreams and desires too.



Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

If you like the setting of an abbey turned house, this is perfect for you. About half the book doesn't take place at the abbey, but the best part does. It's one of Austen's first novels and quite different from her other books, so if you haven't read it yet, give it a try.


Doctor Who


A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynn Jones

Time travel. Cities at the end of the world. Mysteries about time. A WWII evacuee. It has many Doctor Who-esque elements and it's a fun story. Plus it's Diana Wynn Jones, so you know it will be great.


Unearthed by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

I felt like this book was Doctor Who meets Indiana Jones. It takes place on an alien planet where the two protagonists have to solve a mystery about aliens. I haven't read book two yet but I really need to check it out and see how the story ends.


Merlin


Muddle Earth by Paul Stewart

It's basically a humorous version of Lord of the Rings, which is why it reminds me of Merlin and its campy style. It's silly, it's funny, and it makes you laugh. What more could you want from a story?


A Tail of Camelot by Julie Leung

Like Merlin, it's a retelling of the King Arthur stories, but in this case, it's about mice. If you like things like Redwall or the Tale of Despereaux, then you'll like this one. It's about a mouse trying to become a knight of the mouse round table and his adventure. Super cute and well written.


Poldark


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

If you didn't see this one coming, you don't know me very well. I think Poldark and this book are very similar in feel and time period. Darcy and Ross would probably get along capitally, while Lizzy and Demelza would probably start trouble somewhere.


Horatio Hornblower by C. S. Forester

This is a series of eleven novels about a navy man as he works his way from midshipman to captain. I haven't actually read the books, but I watched the show, which was superb, and I've heard the books are just as good. The naval element and ingenuity show by Horatio reminds me a lot of Ross Poldark.

Well, this was super fun. I really enjoyed finding books to go with shows. I will hope to do this again, maybe with kids shows or more of a theme.


What are some of your favorite live action shows? Have you watched or read any of these recommendations? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Oh, this is a great idea! I'm a Merlin fan, so I'll definitely be checking those two out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Merlin. It's kind of cheesy, but so fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts