Jane Austen Novels: Ranked

Jane Austen Novels: Ranked

I love Jane Austen novels. In the past years I've finally finished reading all of her main six novels. So today I'm being evil and ranking them in order of my least favorite to favorite. Of course, when I say least favorite, I mean it's half a point below the others, because I enjoyed all of her novels a lot. Be prepared to to feel triggered 😉. (Don't worry, it was super hard to figure out this ranking for myself.)



#6. Mansfield Park

I put this one in last place because I remember it the least. I watched a movie version first for this one and while it was good, this one hasn't stuck with me the way some of the others have. Maybe if I had seen a better version or maybe if I read it again I would like it better.


#5. Sense and Sensibility

Another one I ranked lower because I don't remember it as well. I do love the storyline with the two sisters and their attempts to find love and fortune. If I remember correctly, I like the older sister better. Another one I want to read again.


#4. Emma

A classic. It was so hard to pick between this and Persuasion for fourth place. I loved Emma, though. It was peak Austen. The humor, the plot, Emma herself. I can see why this one is such a classic and has inspired several movies (like Clueless).


#3. Persuasion

I ranked this one slightly above Emma because I like the fact that it has an older protagonist. You don't see 28 year olds as the protagonist in a romance very often. It gave it a much more mature love story and you can tell how good a writer by Jane Austen was by this point.


#2. Northanger Abbey

You might be surprised to find this one so high on my list. It's one of her first novels, although it wasn't published until after her death. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I think Catherine, while a bit immature, was sweet and reminded me of my younger self. I also adore Henry.


#1. Pride and Prejudice

If you know me well, this shouldn't surprise you. I love Pride and Prejudice. It's my all time favorite Jane Austen and one of my top classics. It's so iconic. I love the sisters, Mr. Darcy, and am a firm supporter of the BBC miniseries. (Fight me.)


Do you agree with my order? What is your favorite Jane Austen novel? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. I love this post idea. I've seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma, and the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries, but I hadn't read any Austin books until this month. I started Sense and Sensibility, but I haven't read much of it yet. I like it so far, but it doesn't seem like it will be one of my all-time favorites.
    P.S. I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read more Jane Austen books in the future. They're worth it. And thanks for the tag!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this! Mansfield Park is my least favorite, too, because I just don't like the story as much. But, I am absolutely so much like the main character, Fanny Price, that it's crazy. And yep, P&P is my favorite!!!! The BBC version is perfection in all ways! I just rewatched it lately, but I totally want to do it again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember Fanny a lot, but it's cool that she's so similar to you! I also need to watch the miniseries again, because it's been too long.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of her books. The ranking sounds good to me. ;)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts