5 Characters I Deeply Relate To

5 Characters I Deeply Relate To

We all have those characters we can relate to on a deep level. Maybe they're similar in personality or situation. They struggle with something we struggle with. Or that little unidentified thing that makes you relate to them so much.

Today I thought it would be fun to share some of those characters for me. Even if sharing them feels a little revealing, like I'm sharing part of my heart. So let's go ahead and get started. These have no order, as an aside.



#1: Ian Lightfoot, Onward

The first time I watched this movie, I saw Ian and thought "he's just like me". We're both shy, anxious people trying to navigate life to the best of our ability. Ian also has an extroverted sibling who's always trying to get him out of his comfort zone, just like me.

I love Ian's character so much, I've even cosplayed him. I love that over the course of the movie, he learns to be less scared and anxious, which inspires me to keep trying even on my bad days.


#2: Jo March, Little Women

I swear, Jo is based on me. As a child, I was also rambunctious and kind of a tomboy. As I got older, I've become a writer, like Jo. Like Jo, I struggle with change and letting the ones I love grow up and leave me.

My mom even calls me Jo sometimes when I'm struggling with worries about the future. Every time I read Little Women, I find a new part of Jo's character to appreciate.


#3: Shouko Komi, Komi Can't Communicate

Komi and I both struggle with anxiety and the way it holds us back from making friends. I love this show because I swear I've thought everything Komi has. Thankfully, my anxiety isn't bad enough to keep me from talking, but in many other ways we're so similar.

I think Komi is so important for not only shy, anxious people, but also for those who might not understand us. It shows people like me that we can make friends and live a full life in spite of things that want to hold us back.


#4: Alice Liddle, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I've loved Alice in Wonderland since I was young. Alice might seem like an odd choice to relate to, but I do. Like Alice, I often feel like I'm stuck in a world I don't understand. Everyone else knows how it works, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I also relate to her feelings of being lost. I always feel like if I could just find the path, I'd get where I want to go. But life isn't that simple. Sometimes you have to run as fast as you can just to stay in place.


#5: Anne Elliot, Persuasion

The older I've gotten, the more I relate to Anne. Persuasion has overtaken Pride and Prejudice as my favorite Austen novel. Like Anne, I'm quiet and gentle. I don't think I'm that pretty and I'm still single at twenty-five.

Anne learns to overcome her receding ways and ends up with a lovely gentleman, so I hope that I'll be able to do the same. But if not, I still love reading about Anne and aspire to be as kind as she is.


What are some of the characters you relate to deeply? Do you relate to any of these characters? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts