DIY Glitter Flip-Flops
One of the things I love most about summer is flip-flops. I have six or so pairs in my collection. They're nice because they're so versatile. Normal rubber ones can be worn to the pool or out and about. Nicer ones can even work for fancy occasions. Not a wedding probably, but a party, sure.
In this post I'm going to show you how to take a pair of average flip-flops and turn them into a sparkly wonders, sort of. Let's get started.
A pair of flip-flops, new or old
Gloss Mod Podge
1. Lay out the newspaper on a table. This will protect the table and help you keep your house from being glitterized. It may anyway. If you're like me, glitter will be everywhere when you're done.
2. Choose your glitter. You can either use the same color as your flip-flops, or choose a contrasting color. I chose silver for mine.
3. Using the paintbrush, put a layer of Mod Podge on the strap of your flip-flops. Don't make it too thin or it will dry before you can put the glitter.
4. Glitter the straps generously. Don't worry about wasting glitter, just dump. You may have to turn the shoe sideways to get glitter on the whole strap.
5. Shake the excess glitter onto the newspaper. Mine had extra glitter stuck to it, so I just wiped it off with a damp paper towel. Holding the sides of the newspaper to make a crease, put the left over glitter back in the jar.
6. Let the Mod Podge dry for several hours. When they're completely dry, brush another coat on top of the glitter to seal it and add a shiny look to the straps. It will dry clear, so don't worry.
7. Let that dry and you're done!
Wear your new and improved flip-flops out and about, sparkling all the way. Note: try not to get them wet or dirty.
Do you like flip-flops? What cool ideas have you seen to decorate them? Let me know in the comments.