Tolkien Lover Book Tag
This is a tag was just started by Kristen Kieffer on her author website blog. (Which you should totally check out by the way.) As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to participate. Tolkien is one of the favorite authors. I can't wait to answer the questions. Here I go!
1. The Lord of the Rings is Tolkien's most famous work. But did you read the books or see the movies first? What are your opinions on each?
My answer about whether I read the books first or watch the movies first is an interesting one actually. I was finally allowed to watch The Lord of the Rings movies when I was 13. (Fun fact: for a long time I thought Master Yoda was a hobbit, because I hadn't seen either LOTR or Star Wars. Embarrassing, but true.) Anyway, I got through a movie and a half before I picked up the books and read them in a week. So my answer is I did both.
My opinions on each are. . . they're both great. My thoughts on the original books are that they are some of the greatest books ever written. I'm always re-reading them because I love them so much.
The Peter Jackson movies are also great. I've always had a relaxed view towards movie versions of books. I understand that they have to change things to make it work better cinematically. Their casting, shooting, location, soundtrack, everything was well done. They're some of my favorite movies, even if the Hobbit ones weren't as good as I hoped.
2. Who is your favorite member of the fellowship? Does this person differ from your favorite Lord of the Rings character in general?
Legolas. Legolas all the way. He's kick-butt, sarcastic, and an elf. How much better can he get? I've always had a thing for elves. As for favorite character in The Lord of the Rings, how can I choose? I like them all.
3. If you could be any character from The Hobbit, which would it be and why?
Either Bilbo or Gandalf. I like Bilbo because he's sneaky and sweet. And I like Gandalf because he's always there when you need him and he's so wise. I love the characters that always know what to say, because I've never been that sort of person.
4. Tolkien's work goes beyond The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Have you ever read any of his other books? How about books about Tolkien?
One of my life goals is to read everything Tolkien's written. I think I've read about half at the moment. But they keep finding new books so my list keeps growing. I'll do it though.
As for books about Tolkien, I did a whole study on him in school. Besides the biographies I read for that, I've read several books about his works. I enjoy reading what other people have to say about them. As long as they don't dis them. Then shame on them.
5. Pooling from all of Tolkien's work, which two characters do you ship together most?
Probably Aragorn and Arwen. They have a happy ending at least. Lots of the other couples in Middle Earth have tragic endings. One dies or both do or something drives them apart. So yeah, Aragorn and Arwen win.
6. We all have at least one thing from Tolkien's work that makes us way too giddy and excited. Something that we could talk about for days. What's yours?
Probably the mythology. I love talking about how Middle Earth was created and all the different stories Tolkien created. How the elves and dwarves became enemies. Galadriel and her brothers. Oh, I could keep going for days. Also, I need to read the Silmarillion again.
I tag anyone who wants to participate. Tolkien lovers unit!
What do you think of Tolkien? Which is your favorite book? Let me know in the comments.