Book Review: The Christmas Doll

Book Review: The Christmas Doll

The Christmas Doll
by Elvira Woodruff

Blurb: Lucy and Glory Wolcott are sisters and the best of friends. They have no one but each other to rely on. They have little to eat and their nights are cold and damp. To keep their spirits up, Lucy invents stories about the family she barely remembers- and a lost doll named Morning Glory who Lucy is sure they will find again one day.

When a deadly fever sweeps through the workhouses where the girls live, Lucy and Glory flee for their lives to the mean streets of London. Now they must learn how to survive on their own.

One day the sisters find an old, discarded doll by the river that Glory is sure is their long lost doll. But Morning Glory is no ordinary doll. . . And she works her magic on everyone around her.

Cover Review: The cover has an old-fashioned and Victorian feel to it, which perfectly matches the story found within. It displays the girls and their doll in a pose like you would see in a photograph from the era, along with morning glories, which are prominent throughout the plot. Well designed, and if not the most eye catching, still beautiful.

My Thoughts

I don't remember when I first picked up this book. I've always loved stories about dolls and Victorian times, so that probably drew me to it. Ever since I've read it many times. It's one of my favorite Christmas stories, so I suggest you give it a try and see if becomes one of yours too.

Plot: At only 150 pages, this is a short book, but it has lots of heart. The plot follows the sisters as they navigate Victorian London, learning the ins and outs of the streets. Eventually Lucy gets a job in a doll shop, and that's when the plot really starts to pick up. It's not an action filled story, but a story about sisterhood and kindness. It kept me reading all the way through, cheering for the sisters and their friend Nick.

Characters: Lucy Wolcott is the main character of the novel. She's resourceful, brave, and very loving to her younger, weaker sister Glory. She might be a bit rough from all she's gone through, but she's still sweet and a talented seamstress. Glory is the sort of younger sister character that you want to hug and protect from the world. She's naive, but adorable. Then we have Nick, a boy who helps the girls on the street, and Miss Thimblebee, the woman who gives Lucy a job in her shop. They're all great characters, Nick being a favorite of mine.

World: Like I said, it's based in Victorian times and the world makes me think a bit of Dickens works. It also focuses on the orphans and street children, though it's not about injustice so much as finding a family. The author does a great job of immersing you in the setting and you can tell she did her research.

Other: I don't know why I've always had a fascination for dolls, but I do. There's something about the magic that they have that I love reading about. So if you're a fellow doll lover, you'll probably enjoy this book.

Rating:







Let's talk! Have you read this book? Do you like stories about dolls? Historical fiction or modern fiction? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts