Skirts and Modesty: A Discussion (Inspired by Princess Wear Pants)

Skirts and Modesty: A Discussion (Inspired by Princess Wear Pants)

I've worn skirts, dresses, and culottes every day of my life since I was around three (with the very occasional exception). The only time I wear pants is when I'm sleeping. And I'm just fine with that.

Back in November I was in Barnes and Nobles when I saw a children's book called Princesses Wear Pants. Being a fan of princesses, I gave it a quick read through. It's about a little princess who loves wearing dresses and tiaras, but when it's time to get to work, she pulls out her pants. In theory, that's fine. But the way it was written, it made it sound like she couldn't garden, or climb, or do responsible things without wearing pants. That message grated me.

So that book is the whole reason I was inspired to write this post. I want to talk about modesty and dresses and their importance, so let's begin.

Since the time people started wearing clothes, skirts and dresses have been a sign of femininity. Not until the nineteen hundreds did women start wearing pants and working jobs that used to belong to men. From there, things like feminism and equal rights have only grown.

Wearing a skirt isn't just a sign of a woman. It's a sign of modesty and beauty. When a woman wears pants, she's somewhat letting go of her womanly side. Does that mean there aren't times were woman should wear pants? I don't know. I don't want to offend anyone who thinks wearing pants is fine, because I have plenty of friends who do. But I do know that women should stop forgoing them entirely.

Now, let's talk about modesty for a minute. Despite what modern culture has said, modesty is not about covering up as much skin as possible and make yourself as unpleasing as possible. Modesty is acting in a way that avoids impropriety. Or in other words, it's basically acting nicely and in a way that's God pleasing.

I've read a lot about modesty over the years as I've tried to understand how to balance that and living in this modern age. As you can imagine, clothes shopping can be torture. I like this dress, but the hemline is too short. This shirt is gorgeous but the neckline reveals way too much. And so on and so on.

Anyway, one of the most interesting articles I read had very unique take on modesty. It talked about modern women and how when they reveal everything, it actually makes them less appealing. Letting it all show takes all the mystery and wonder out of the woman's body, whereas covering up can actually be more attractive. I thought that was a good point.

When Princess Penelope (the girl from Princesses Wear Pants) decided that she needed to wear pants for her jobs instead of dresses, it tells girls that if they wear a skirt or dress, they can't do much of anything. I read that the author said the point of the book was to say that even girly girls can be powerful, but the book really seemed the opposite of that message.

Just because I'm wearing a skirt doesn't mean I can't be as kick-butt as a girl wearing jeans. (Believe me, I'm probably more so. Doing stuff in a skirt takes skills, like doing things in heels.) I can still garden, climb, workout, and be a girl boss all while dressing in a perfectly modest fashion. I can also fully express myself through the clothes I wear without going crazy and wearing a crop top, booty shorts, and having ear plugs.

Saying a girl is defined by what she wears is crazy. That doesn't mean you should dress any way you please, but it doesn't mean you should let your wardrobe choices define what you do. Just look at all these new athletes going to the Olympics wearing head scarves. Isn't it amazing that they refuse to give up their morals just to participate in skating or whatever?

Women who dress modestly are not weak or girly. Instead, we are strong. We're showing the world we will not conform to their standards. We're standing up as a living proof that you can wear a dress and be powerful.

Think about all the historical women that did so much- all while wearing skirts. Sacajawea wore a dress, carried a baby, and helped Lewis and Clark cross the country. The founding mothers did much to help shape our country without leaving modesty behind. Clara Barton, Marie Curie, Harriet Tubman, Queen Elizabeth II- all of them world changers and modest women. Even the Disney princesses have all worn skirts throughout their movies and they're the role models for girls everywhere.

All this to say, I like my skirt and I don't think anyone should put people who wear them, or dress modestly, down. And to anyone else like me out there, I give you a virtual high-five.

I've really enjoyed writing this post, now it's time for you to join in. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments, but please, keep it polite. I'd like to do more discussion posts in the future as well.

Let's talk! What are your thoughts on this topic? What sort of topics push your buttons? Who's your favorite historical figure? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. Yes, yes and YES! I totally agree with everything you said, Rachel!

    I also found it extremely annoying that there was this stereotype that you couldn't be active in a skirt. And as a historic interpreter, I've had to do a lot of hard labor in a VERY long skirt (below ankle). It CAN be done!

    Over the years, I did a lot of experimenting and research about how to be active while still in long skirts. I wrote about that on Working by Candlelight (my other blog, it's the second link), in case you are interested.

    Awesome post, Rachel!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com
    frugallyfancyfarmlass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great you've done so much work and learning on skirts, long ones particularly. I'll be sure to check out that post. Thanks for joining the conversation. :)

      Delete
  2. I wear both skirts and pants interchangeably. I just make sure my skirts are not too short or tight, and my jeans are not to tight and shorts not too short.

    That being said, I really don't think people should act like you can't do things in a skirt. You really can. I've done a 15 mile Ride and Tie race (where you take turns running and riding a horse) in a knee-high athletic skirt with running tights underneath. I frequently run (anything from 3 to 33 miles) in skirts. I've galloped bareback in an ankle-length maxi skirt. I've done farm chores in skirts. It certainly is possible. And it's not /that/ hard, if you're used to wearing skirts and have one your comfortable in.

    Though, tbh, I do prefer blue jeans, as I have very little "chore" skirts. Most of mine are "nice" skirts, saved for Sunday and special occasions (and I really don't want to rip them on anything)(and for some reason I cannot stand denim skirts??? I love the durability of blue jeans, but can't stand them as skirts...I like my skirts long and flowy, I guess...).

    But thanks for being brave enough to address this topic! I agree that people shouldn't be looked down upon, but rather applauded for doing things in a skirt, for not giving up their convictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you've been able to do so much in a skirt. And I appreciate that you are able to be modest in pants as well. Thanks for telling me your opinion. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts