My Thoughts on 2017 Movies: Part 1

My Thoughts on 2017 Movies: Part 1

It's time for the first part of my annual reviews of the movies I watched in the last year. You'll get to hear my original thoughts, what I thought after I watched it, and my recommendation. Part two will come sometime later this year, when I've seen the rest of the movies I want from 2017. Let's get started.


Beauty and the Beast

Original Thoughts: I couldn't wait, and neither could any other girl I knew. Belle is a popular princess and everyone was excited to see how the story would translate into live action.

Thoughts After Watching: I adored it. It was perfection, except for that one thing (you know what I'm talking about). The story, the songs, the costumes. It was all beautiful. I also loved the depth they gave to the original story.

Recommendation: Any fan of Disney princess or the original movie will love this version. It's amazing.


The Lego Batman Movie

Original Thoughts: I couldn't wait to see it. The trailers were funny and I loved the Lego Movie.

Thoughts After Watching: So. Good. Humorous, Batman, a great movie all over. I wrote a full review that you can read here, if you want. This is a special one for me because my dad took us to see it in the theaters, something we rarely do.

Recommendation: Batman fans will probably love it, as well as kids not old enough for the full Batman experience. Great for a laugh and cry all at once.


Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Original Thoughts: Guardians of the Galaxy was surprising Marvel movie. It was different from the others they'd done so far, in a great way. It's one of my favorites. I was excited to see what this movie brought.

Thoughts After Watching: It was just as good as the first one, if a little crasser. They did a great job of continuing the story, upping the stakes, and helping you learn more about the characters. Mantis was one of my favorite new characters, and the interaction between Gamora and Nebula was great. Baby Groot. Chris Pratt. Taserface. There's so much to enjoy.

Recommendation: A perfect movie night film. It's got action, adventure, adorableness, and more.


Power Rangers

Original Thoughts: I'm a fan of the show and was willing to give the movie a try. I was a little afraid of what they would do to it, but was determined not to judge until after viewing it.

Thoughts After Watching: To be honest, it was better than I thought it would be. Yeah, it had its flaws. Sometimes they were too serious for their own good, and at points it felt like they were stuffing too much in. But in the end, I enjoyed it and thought it was fun.

Recommendation: If you're a fan of the show, give it a try. There are some great characters, and it's fun watching the story play out. Or even if you just want a non-Marvel superhero story.


Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Original Thoughts: Pirates of the Caribbean is a great franchise, but it might be time to drop it now. Leave well enough alone, and all that. Still, I was interested to see what this new movie would bring. (Specifically Henry Turner. Don't judge me.)

Thoughts After Watching: It was pretty good. A new villain, much better than in number four, some great new characters, and of course, classic Captain Jack Sparrow. I loved Henry. My one problem with the film? Carina. She was the most annoy character on the face of the planet. I think she should have been left out or changed.

Recommendation: Great for fans of Pirates and Johnny Depp. It's funny with a really touching ending.


The Boss Baby

Original Thoughts: It looked like a funny movie, maybe not the best in most terms, but still something that would give a laugh.

Thoughts After Watching: It was much better than I thought. Yes, there were silly things and a few crude jokes, but the story had a heart to it, something many things are missing today. The story of family and brotherhood was great. (And how can you beat a baby who talks and acts like an adult?) The Oscar nomination proves there's something there.

Recommendation: A great family film, perfect for days when you want to laugh and actually feel something. Super sweet movie.


Cars 3

Original Thoughts: I loved Cars and Cars 2. Both were really great, as most Pixar films are. This one looked a little sadder, but just as good.

Thoughts After Watching: Oh, it was good. The action, the stakes, the ending. It wasn't what I expected and I liked it. Watching that crash, though, hurt my heart. Cruz was a gem in the movie.

Recommendation: Perfect for anyone looking for something with a great story.


Smurfs: The Lost Village

Original Thoughts: I was suspicious. The first two were pretty good, so why were they rebooting the whole thing with a completely new cast?

Thoughts After Watching: Much better than I thought. I especially liked Demi Lovato as Smurfette. It was funny and deeper than I thought it was going to be. The ending almost made me cry. And you can't forget the great song "I'm a Lady" that Meghan Trainor wrote for the movie.

Recommendation: Great for Smurf fans. All your favorite things- Gargamel, great humor, and a fun story- are there.


Spider-Man Homecoming

Original Thoughts: I couldn't wait. Spiderman's introduction in Civil War was one of my favorite parts. It doesn't hurt he's played by Tom Holland, one of the first actors to actually look like a teenager.

Thoughts After Watching: Amazing. The whole thing was great. The cast, the story, that amazing moment in the dark night of the soul. It was really well done. Yeah, Tony Stark might have stole the movie a bit, but Peter held his own against his star power.

Recommendation: A must watch for Spiderman fans. (Tom is now my favorite Spiderman.) A fun movie for a movie night.


Wonder Woman

Original Thoughts: I was excited, because I love Wonder Woman, but also nervous because DC has been rather hit or miss with their movies.

Thoughts After Watching: It was pretty good. There were some problems, but they were able to be overlooked by the awesomeness of the rest of the film. Talk about a disappointing villain, though. The best part was obviously Gal Gadot as the powerful Wonder Woman. The lesson here is that DC shouldn't make group movies, only single heroes.

Recommendation: Great for Wonder Woman lovers or anyone else looking for a female superhero film (something the market is severely lacking in). Focus on the good parts and you'll enjoy it.


Despicable Me 3

Original Thoughts: I was pretty excited, especially with the addition of Gru's brother. It might be a bit cliche, but it seemed fun.

Thoughts After Watching: Not quite as deep as I hoped, but still a fun movie. Gru and Dru were so fun and it had a nice climax. Though I'd love to know why Gru has a personal vendetta with half the super villains of the world.

Recommendation: Certainly a must-watch if you liked the first two movies. Great for kids.


The Lego Ninjago Movie

Original Thoughts: I couldn't wait for this one. I'd been excited since trailer one, being a big fan of the show, if you hadn't noticed.

Thoughts After Watching: It was just as good as I thought it would be. The ending almost makes me cry. My only problem was that the other ninjas besides Lloyd pretty much lost any personality they had in the show and were reduced almost to background characters.

Recommendation: A fun movie if you want something with a good heart, humorous dialog, and great action.

Let's talk! Have you seen any of these movies? Did you have a favorite movie from the last year (I don't know if I do)? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. Ooh, movie posts! :-D I've seen the LEGO Batman and Ninjago movies, Boss Baby, and Spider-Man Homecoming. :-) Spider-Man was probably my favorite; I love the way they portrayed him this time. XD I haven't seen Wonder Woman but I would love to; I'll probably have to wait until I'm older. :-Z :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spider-Man was a good one. The actor portraying him did an amazing job. I hope you get to see Wonder Woman soon. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts