Favorite Reads of 2020. . . So Far

Favorite Reads of 2020. . . So Far

First, an important announcement! I will be taking at least a two week break starting on Monday. I just need some time off to recharge creatively and work on some stuff for the rest of the year. I'll still be responding to comments and reading your posts, but not posting. So after today I'll see you in two weeks or so.

We're about halfway through 2020 now, although how I'm not quite sure. But since we've reached this point, it's time to look at some of my favorite reads so far. I've read about 42 books at the writing of this post, not counting things like graphic novels or comic books, and am on track with my Goodreads reading goal. So let's see what I liked best of my reads for the first half of 2020.



The Scorpio Races

This is my second Maggie Stiefvater book and it was amazing. It sent me right back to my childhood love of horse books like Black Beauty or Black Stallion. I loved the water horses, and the descriptiveness of the writing that made me feel like I was right there on that island. I couldn't put it down. Also, can we have a movie of this?


The Silmarillion

This book really shows you how deep the lore of Middle Earth is. It was Tolkien's passion project, that he worked on for most of his life. I admire his son for being able to make it at all comprehensible. There are so many good stories in this book. It's not easy to read, but worth it in the end.


A Thousand Perfect Notes

I also finally got around to reading Paper Fury's first book and I wasn't disappointed at all. It was beautiful and heart wrenching and painful. I adored it. I read it in only a day or two. Now I need to get my hands on her second book.


Spinning Silver

I did a book review for this one, so read that if you want to hear my full thoughts. But it was Just. So. Good. Fairy tales and winter woods and other worlds through mirrors. Three great female leads that weren't "strong female characters". I would love to own this one.


The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages

A kind of epilogue to the series, I enjoyed this last look at all the kids as they're now older. It was just as good as the first three and didn't feel unneeded at all. There was lots of adventure and riddles and all the things I love about this series.


The Queen of Nothing

After finally reading the Cruel Prince series, I can say it deserves the hype it got. There's dark fey and magic and lots of twists and turns. The first book was my favorite, but this finale was second. I especially liked that it had a kind of happy ending. I'm big into that.


Winter

I re-read the Lunar Chronicles in the last six months and I forgot how good this finale was (having only read it once). It's huge, but never drags. There are a ton of characters, but you can follow everything going on easily. It's a great ending.


Knock Three Times

The third book in the Wizards of Once series and another masterpiece. It continues to have a lot of depth as well as things that made me chuckle. I especially love her illustrations that go with it. Totally recommend the whole series.


What have your favorite reads been so far this year? How are you doing on your reading challenge? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Best and Worst Books of 2019 So Far

Best Books of 2018 So Far

Comments

  1. I haven't read a lot of books so far. But the ones I have read have been good. I liked Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan a lot.
    I'm not doing the best in my reading challenge. I need to get to reading more. These all look good. I really want to read The Mysterious Benedict Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to catch up on some reading over the summer. You should totally read the Mysterious Benedict Society. It's great.

      Delete
  2. I’ve heard good things about the Scorpio Races but I’ve been hesitant to read it since I didn’t care for the Raven Boys because of the really slow pacing. Is the pacing quicker in the Scorpio Races? Also Winter is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Raven Boys, so I can't compare, but I think it has quicker pacing. Because there's a time constraint on the plot (getting ready for the race) it goes by pretty face. I speed through it, personally, if that helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts