6 More Semi-Scary Books for Halloween

6 More Semi-Scary Books for Halloween

A couple years ago I wrote a list of semi-scary books for Halloween. This year I'm back with more recs for you to add to your reading list! Most of them are only a little spooky and perfect for the less adventurous readers. (No judgement here, I am one of those less adventurous types.)



The Graveyard Book

One of Neil Gaiman's less talked about books, to me at least. In this book, a boy goes to live in a graveyard as a baby and there grows up with the ghosts that only he can see. As he grows, he goes on adventures and eventually faces his past. It's not super straightforward, but it's good.


The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding

If you like Hocus Pocus, you'll enjoy this book. It has very similar vibes. The plot is very different, about a boy and the demon that lives inside him. I remember enjoying it a lot and I don't know why I haven't read the next book yet.


The Agony House

Half graphic novel, half regular novel, this book is suspenseful from beginning to end. A girl moves to a new house in New Orleans (one of my favorite settings) and discovers a mystery surrounding her house. It gave me chills in some spots.


And Then There Were None

The name alone sounds spooky. One of Agatha Christie's most famous and well written novels. It can be a bit intense, especially toward the end. Ten people go to an island where they are trapped and killed off one by one. If you have the stomach for it, there's an excellent adaptation by the BBC (although I warn you it's even more gory and intense).


Rebecca

While lacking in some morals, this is certainly a great Gothic novel. A young girl (who remains nameless) marries a widower and has to figure out the mystery surrounding his previous wife. It's twisty and turny and creepy in a subtle way.


The House with a Clock in Its Walls

After his parents die, a young boy goes to live with his uncle, who he soon discovers is a wizard. There's lots of magic and healing and accidental raising of the dead. It's a sweet story. The movie version was enjoyable, although not as good as the book.


Are you a scary book fan? Have you read any of these, or have any suggests for my list? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. I've heard a lot about The Graveyard Book and it sounds like such a neat retelling of The Jungle Book! I've wanted to read And Then There Were None for ages, and my mom loves Rebecca. I need to get cracking on some of this reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR is always huge. I hope you can read some of these books too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts