What Happened to Our Originality?

What Happened to Our Originality?

The movie industry depresses me sometimes.

It seems like every movie I'm looking forward to watching turns out to be bland, uninspired, and repetitive. They have all the right ingredients, but they end up with a less than satisfying film.

Maybe I'm just watching the wrong movies. But I don't know.

Look at the MCU for example. Up until Far From Home, they were doing great. Then they started pumping out the content again and the quality went downhill so fast. Black Widow was poorly paced. Shang-Chi, which I was really hopeful about, was lack-luster. Even No Way Home, which I loved, had some issues.

I'm not saying these movies should be perfect, but everyone agrees they're formulaic and uninspired. The worst part is, they all could have been great. But they aren't.

Or what about all these sequels coming out to films that originally came out years ago. Star Wars. The Matrix. Lightyear. Many I was excited for (okay, maybe not Matrix: Reloaded) and they disappointed.

I try to turn off my inner critic while watching. But the question is, should I have to? Should these movies be so bad that I have to actively try not to judge them while watching them?

Flaws are okay. I love plenty of movies that are less than fabulous. Every movie can't be and doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

But modern movies seem to have some other issue. They're just not interesting. They take cool concepts and wreck them. What's happening?

What happened to people creating Matrix's? A New Hope's? Lord of the Rings'? What happened to the people with all the ideas that seem too big, too complex, never been done before?

Hollywood thinks they can keep milking money out of these franchises that should have ended already. But the more the quality of the movies degrades, the less people will want to see them.

It's time to take a chance on new ideas. To let new stories and worlds be introduced to audiences. There are hundreds of books alone that I would love to see as films, much less original movie concepts.

I want originality and creativity back in movies. I want to be blown away by a movie that didn't come out 30 years ago. I want to be re-inspired by the films I'm watching.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.


Do you have any thoughts on this topic? Do you have a new movie that blew you away recently? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Maybe you are watching the wrong movies. There have been a lot of good movies that came out over the summer. Plus there are excellent independent films out there that are waiting to be discover. Sometimes you has to step out of the main stream and dig a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am, I don't know. This was just sort of brain dump of some of my current thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts