Rewrites with Rachel: Love and Monsters

Rewrites with Rachel: Love and Monsters

Let me start by saying I like Love and Monsters. It's a refreshing, fun monster movie that's not tied to any franchise. Something you don't see much these days. Also, it's tame enough that I can watch it without getting scared or grossed out. So bonus points there.

But even though I enjoy this movie, there are a few points where it could be improved. If these few things were fixed, it would probably rocket my rating of this movie from 3 1/2 stars to 4 1/2, easily. So let's take a look at those changes.

Blurb: Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse, Joel Dawson, along with the rest of humanity, has been living underground ever since giant creatures took control of the land. After reconnecting over the radio with his high school girlfriend, Aimee, who is now 80 miles away at a coastal colony, Joel begins to fall for her again. As Joel realizes that there's nothing left for him underground, he decides to venture out to Aimee, despite all the dangerous monsters that stand in his way.

Spoilers ahead!


Change #1: Spend more time with set-up

Part of Joel's character arc is realizing that the people he's been stuck in a bunker with are his family. We all love a good found family theme.

However, we don't see enough of the people in the bunker to understand why he feels this way. We could have used an extra ten minutes at the beginning really establishing that relationship. I can't even name any of the people there, or even name defining characteristics.

Show me why he feels the way he does, more than in a passing opening monologue. Give me at least an impression of who his new family is beyond a generic mass of people. Especially if they were to implement my second suggestion.


Change #2: Change the climax

The original climax is Joel helping Aimee save her colony from pirates. The first time I watched it, I thought this was the third plot point. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that was the finale of the movie instead.

For a movie with a theme of found family, this felt so off. So if I were in charge of the movie, I'd have the climax be Joel going back to his colony and help save them from monsters, proving his growth from coward to courageous. It would give the movie a nice full-circle moment.


Change #3: Bring back the old man and little girl

During his week traveling across the surface, Joel meets an old man and his young charge who help him adjust to the new world. (In like two days, but we aren't talking about that right now.) We spend maybe twenty minutes with them, we part ways, and they only show up again for one minute at the end.

If we're going to spend so much time with these characters, we need to use them more. It would be great if they come back at the end to check on Joel and help him in his mission to save his colony. It would give him extra resources and also give us closure on their story.

These three things would tighten the movie's plot and take it from good to great. But even without them, this is a fun film and I highly suggest you check it out. Plus, did I mention it has Dylan O'Brian and the cutest dog you ever saw in it?

Look at these best boys


Have you seen this movie? Would you make these changes or other ones? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts