Book Review: Supergifted by Gordon Korman

Book Review: Supergifted by Gordon Korman

Supergifted (Ungifted book 2)
by Gordon Korman

Blurb: Donovan Curtis has never been what anyone would call "gifted". But his genius friend Noah Youkilis is actually supergifted, with one of the highest IQs around. After years at the Academy for Scholastic Distinction, all Noah dreams of is the opportunity to fail if he wants. And he's landed in the perfect place to do it- Donovan's school.

Almost immediately, Noah finds himself on the wrong side of cheer-leading captain Megan Mercury and alpha jock Hash "Hashtag" Taggart. Sticking up for Noah lands Donovan in the middle of a huge feud with Hashtag. He's told to stay away from the sports star- or else.

That should be the end of it, but when a freak incident suddenly makes Donovan a hero, he can't tell anyone about it since Hashtag is involved So Noah steps in and becomes "Superkid". And it may have gone more than a little bit to his head.

Cover Review: Like the previous book in this series, the cover features Heavy Metal, the robot. Only this cover is a shiny yellow. It's still cute and eye-catching, although Heavy Metal played almost no role in this book (which is sad, because I liked him).

Plot: The plot this time follows Donovan and Noah as they both navigate normal middle school, accidentally save a house, and the chaos that ensues. It was an engaging read, great for middle grade readers, and covered some interesting topics, like friendship and what it really means to be a superkid. I'll admit, I was a little disappointed in a few things, but it was still almost as good as book one.

Characters: The book has five POVs, which is a lot, but the two major ones are Donovan and Noah. Let's go through them quickly.

Donovan- Still my favorite character. I love his impulsive but well meaning nature. I wish he had more page time.

Noah- A gifted kid attending normal school for the first time. He was a hard character to like in the amount of page time he had. He's so oblivious and living in his own world, which for me didn't make him lovable, more obnoxious. I think it was too much of a good thing.

Megan- A cheerleader at the school. I didn't like her at first, but she grew on me as Noah got more annoying.

Hashtag- What sort of name is that? Anyway, his POV was pretty pointless. He was your basic bully turned suck-up.

Chloe- Not sure why her POV was chosen. It wasn't very helpful.

World: Your standard middle school and small town neighborhoods. Nothing spectacular, just a setting to place the story in.

Other: I think the reason this book was slightly less good was because it lost some of what I loved from book one- the gifted kids and their school. I know this book couldn't focus on them, but I personally wish it had.

Rating: 4 1/2 stars





Also, a quick note. I'll be taking a one week break in the middle of June for some re-evaluation, so I'll be doing three posts a week this month to have my normal amount. Next month, back to normal.

Let's talk! Have you read this book? Do you hate it when your favorite character gets less page time? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Comments

Popular Posts