June Book Reviews

June Book Reviews

Ahh, summer. The time where I feel like I can finally catch up on reading. Although, let's be honest, we all have huge summer reading goals and then end up reading like half, right? That doesn't mean I can't attempt to read all the books before summer ends.

Bonus reading tip: To get in more books without having to spend a lot of extra time reading, try graphic novels or comic books. They're easy to read and quick to get through. No, it's not cheating.




Liked Best


Strange the Dreamer- Laini Taylor

Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Likes:

• Lazlo and Sarai. They were both great characters. Lazlo was a reader and a dreamer and super sweet. Sarai, though, had a better arc and was so awesome.

• Excellent bad guys. They were both evil, and the author made sure you knew that, but she also humanized them, making them even scarier. When you can see where a villain is coming from, it's terrifying.

• Worldbuilding, so good. This wasn't one of those worlds were there are just a few cities floating in the void. This world was complete and it felt real and old, like it had been around for centuries.

• Engaging even though it was huge. I never wanted to put it down, even though I had to. The ending killed me though (and someone else too, but I won't say who).

Dislikes:

• A homosexual couple that I felt was focused on a bit much. They weren't important to the plot, so why did we have to keep going back to them?


Children of Blood and Bone- Tomi Adeyemi

Rating: 4 stars

Likes:

• Beautiful African inspired fantasy. I don't think I've read much like this book, so it was really interesting. The world was really awesome and full of cool creatures and magic.

• Zelie and Amari. Both were awesome in their own ways. Zelie was fierce and ready for anything. Amari had a quieter type of strength. And both carried a lot of pain. Plus, they were the best friends.

• Excellent villain. He didn't have a lot of page time, but his presence was felt a lot. It was even scarier when he did show up.

Dislikes:

• Nothing, really. I just didn't quite feel it, which is why I only rated it four stars.

Liked Least


Scythe- Neal Shusterman

Rating: 3 stars

Likes:

• Citra. She was my favorite character. I didn't like Rowan at all. But Citra actually seemed nice.

• Interesting plot. It kept weaving the two main character's paths against each other, building up to the climax. Although that was over so quick, I felt cheated.

Dislikes:

• Too dark for my taste. This book is literally about people whose job is to kill people to keep the world from overpopulating. It was pretty creepy and not for people like me.


Rocket Girl: Times Squared- Brandon Montclare

Rating: 3 1/2

Likes:

• The main character. I don't remember her name, it was weird, but she was good. Even if she had the attitude that she was the only one could save everything.

• Interesting sci-fi. It included a lot of stuff but it was an interesting mix.

Dislikes:

• Confusing. They just kind of threw you into the story and expected you to figure it out as you went along.

• A bit of a weird premise. Teen cops from the future and quantum mechanics. It was a lot to keep up with.

Notable Mention


Skywalker Strikes- Jason Aaron

Star Wars fans, this one's for you. I totally recommend this Star Wars comic book series. The stories feel like they came straight from the movies and the art is amazing. I've only read the first two, but I can't wait to read the rest.

Other Books
(remember, you can click their titles to be taken straight to my Goodreads review and see all my thoughts)

Mansfield Park- Jane Austen (4 stars)
Supergifted- Gordon Korman (4 1/2 stars)
Bright Shadow- Avi (4 stars)
Rocket Girl: Only the Good- Brandon Montclare (3 1/2 stars)
Vader Down- Jason Aaron (4 stars)
Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon- Jason Aaron (4 stars)
Mortal Heart- Robin LaFevers (4 stars)
Aru Shah and the End of Time- Roshani Chokshi (5 stars)


What have you read this month? What are your thoughts on graphic novels and comic books?

Suggested Posts:

May Book Reviews
How to Read Books Fast

Comments

  1. I've only read Scythe on here, which I loved, but I can totally see why you wouldn't. I need to read Children of Blood and Bone, I've heard so many good things about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts