How to Read Books Fast


I'm a fast reader. I can get through at least two hundred books a year. But I know not everyone can read as fast as I can. Today I'm going to be sharing some ideas on how to get through books quickly.

1. Never leave home without a book

I always have book packed in my bag. You never know when you might have a minute to pull it out and read a few pages. Ideal times for reading are while waiting for your food at a restaurant, during a bus or Metro ride, when you're waiting for a movie to start, or any other time you have a down moment.

2. Read before you go to bed

Instead of checking your phone before bed, which doesn't help you sleep, why not try reading a book instead. It can help you relax, as long as it isn't a scary book. Then avoid reading it at all costs.

3. If a book's not interesting you, stop reading it

Some books aren't interesting to you, might not have been what you thought it was, or just might be horrible. If that's the case, put it down. You may want to finish it if just to see why you didn't like it, but you don't have to.

4. Take time to binge read

Weekends are great times to finish books. If you have a few empty hours on a Saturday or Sunday, find a cozy place and curl up with a book. Taking a while to read is nice and relaxing. Plus, if it's a really good book, you might even get the whole thing done.

5. Read at least two books at once

Having more than one book to read at once is a great way to get in more books. One fiction and one non-fiction is a good way to go. It may seem counterproductive to split your focus, but it isn't as bad you think. If you get bored of one book, you can switch to another one for a while or read whatever you're in the mood for.

Of course, these tips might not work for you. I personally am a fast reader and I read everywhere. People are always asking me what I'm reading. I may or may not also use books as excuses not to socialize. Figure out what reading habits work for you, and soon you'll be flying through books.

*  *  *

NaNoWriMo Update: Still plugging away. So far I haven't hit any major road blocks. However, I think my novel is going to be more than 50k. That's not bad, but that means I'll probably be writing after November is over. I can't write any faster (since I'm writing by hand) and I don't have any more time to write either. It will be what it will be. Official count (as of the 16th): 28,636.

What's your tip to get through books fast? How many books do you read in a year? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

  1. I am such a slow reader! I wouldn't mind this too much if it didn't mean I read so few books in a year. These are great tips; I might try a couple to boost up my reading speed! :)
    (By the way, I also tagged you over on my blog!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one of these help you. Thanks for commenting.

      Also, I'll go check out the tag.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts