Beautiful Books 2016- Novel Update


It's time for the next part of Beautiful Books, hosted by Paper Fury and Further Up Further In. I'm going to dive right in.

1. Overall, how is your metal state, and how is your novel going?

My metal state is middling. I've been a bit frustrated with my first few days of progress. Not that I haven't met my goals, I've exceeded them actually. But I haven't been able to get some of the other things done that I wanted to. Still, I'm working on being at peace with not always getting things done.

My novel is going well. I'm right on track. It's certainly not spectacular, but I'm having fun writing it.

2. What's your first sentence (or paragraph)?

Here it is, unedited:

Elle glared at the object in front of her. It was supposed to be a scale model of a city wide air purifier. However, the design was wrong. She pushed it away.

3. Who's your current favorite character in your novel?

I like both my hero and my villain. I haven't gotten to a lot of my other characters yet, but I'm look forward to it. Elle is fun because she's headstrong and follows her heart. And I like Whitlock because he has this sophisticated air to him.

4. What do you love about your novel so far?

My characters and my world. The upper class in my steampunk world lives lives close to the way real Victorians did, while the other classes live quite differently.

5. Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?

Well, at one point I meant to write something would be a disaster, and accidentally wrote desire instead. And I keep accidentally forgetting to divide my chapters so I have to fix it when I type it up. 

6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end- and why?

Probably the end. I like bringing it all together into the epic climax.

7. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best?

I write on paper, then type it into the computer. As I've said before, I have a hard time thinking while looking at a screen. I write best in the morning or early afternoon. And I almost constantly have music playing.

8. How private are you about your novel while you're writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?

My immediate family knows what I'm writing and they're super supportive during the process. I tell other people if they ask, but I don't readily offer that information. Too introverted, I guess.

9. What keeps you writing even when it's hard?

Sheer stubbornness? Once I've started a challenge, I'll probably complete it just because I don't want to lose. But also because I love writing, and I want to finish.

10. What are your top three pieces of writing advice?

1) Write what you're passionate about, now what you think publisher want. 2) Keep writing, even if it's horrible. First drafts will be first drafts. 3) Take breaks. It will help your creativity.

There you have it. If you want to read my first Beautiful Books, you can see it here.

How's your writing going? What music do you like to listen to while writing? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

  1. Ha! I have AAALL the thoughts!

    First off, my main character was named Elle not long ago! :) Her name has changed twice since then, though.

    And, oh my goodness!!! Somebody else writes on paper!!! You are the first person I've met. Slow going, right? (I mean, I can write faster than I can type, but I'm still exhausted...)

    Also your reason for keeping on when it's hard! Pretty mucvmucvh exactly what I said! :)

    And lastly, your advice was perfect! Especially the one about taking breaks, though I am probably prone to take that one a litle TOO seriously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Yeah, writing on paper is slow and it's fun to meet someone else who still is old-fashioned too. Thanks for the kind words and for commenting.

      Delete
  2. You'll be okay! Just keep going and I'm sure the writing will fall into place again. =) But hey, don't worry too much about desire vs. disaster and all that icky stuff. That's for editing, this is drafting! As for reasons to keep writing, pathological ambition and plain stubbornness is a handy trait. Who says being headstrong is a bad thing?
    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about stubbornness. It can be a good thing, sometimes. And thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I'm amazed by anyone who hand writes their book. I can't even imagine! Way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's definitely harder to write it by hand, but it's what I do.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts