Finding Character Names


Finding the right name for a character is as hard. It needs to be just the right, like Goldilocks and her porridge. But this post is not so about choosing a name (though I should do a post on that), it's about finding ideas for names. These are my own personal suggestions that I hope will help you in your search.

Baby Name Books and Websites

Baby name resources are great for characters as well. They can tell you the origin of the name, what it means, and how popular it is. You can find baby name books at any bookstore. Here links to a few of my favorite baby name sites. Warning: your browser might decide you are pregnant.

Belly Ballot (one of my personal favorites)
Girl Baby Names
Baby Names
Baby Name Guide
Behind the Name
Random Surname Generator (because last names are so hard)
Fantasy Name Generators- this site is a must bookmark for any fantasy or sci-fi writer. It can generate anything from names to shield emblems. Go check it out.

Obituaries and Cemeteries

It might seem morbid, but these two are excellent name sources. You can find the most interesting names from real people. They can also lead to great story ideas. I don't suggest taking a whole name from one, though. There's a likelihood that someone has the same name as your character, but you don't want to make it seem like you just took someone's name. These are especially good places to find last names.

Those are my top two sources for names. I suggest you keep a running list of names you like. You never know when they may come in handy. If you're looking for a certain type of name, like Victorian or Welsh, just Google it. You'll find all sorts of things.

*  *  *

Now, NaNoWriMo. These first few days have been tough for me. I feel like I haven't been able to get anything done but write. That's bad since I have instruments to practice, an Etsy shop to work on, and I'd like to keep up my exercise. But I'm praying for grace and that things get better. 

If you want to know more about my NaNo novel, check back tomorrow for the next part of Beautiful Books.

My current word count: 5,973.

Where do you get names for your characters? How have your first few days of NaNoWriMo been? Let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts