May Book Reviews

May Book Reviews

If anyone could tell me where May went, I would greatly appreciate it. Going on a trip in the middle of the month can really make things feel shorter.

But in spite of that, I did a good amount of reading done this month. It was a little slower the last week, because I'm working on a Jane Austen novel, and those take me longer to read. Shall we see what I read?


Liked Best


Hamilton and Peggy!- L. M. Elliott

My Rating: 4 stars

Likes:

• Peggy. The author did a great job of bringing Peggy into the spotlight. She doesn't get much time in musical, so I was looking forward to seeing more of her. I loved her personality and wit.

• Interesting look at the Revolution. It's different seeing it from the point of view a woman, especially one that has such an interest in it. Peggy did as much to help as she could with her gender.

• Very historically accurate. Each chapter starts with a piece of a real historical letter pertaining to the chapter (including some of Hamilton's!). Every event that happened in it was a real thing, as were all the characters. My personal favorite was Lafayette, after Peggy. Of course, that could be almost a bad thing, but it worked well for this book.

Dislikes:

• I didn't quite enjoy how Peggy thought of others. She made Eliza sound kind of spineless and Hamilton extra obnoxious. The author was obviously in the camp that Angelica and Hamilton had a thing, too. That was my biggest beef of the book.


Batman: Nightwalker- Marie Lu

My Rating: 4 stars

Likes:

• Bruce Wayne. It was lovely seeing this younger version of Bruce. He was so soft and innocent, but with that dark side starting to show itself. I wanted to hug him and tell him it would be all right (even if it won't). And laugh when he says he doubts he'll tangle with crime again.

• Alfred. Always one of my favorite characters. Without him, Bruce would have died years ago. Alfred was just as great in here.

• Bruce's friends and Fox. All great. But was I the only one seeing Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox the whole time?

• Gadgetry! What's Batman without his gadgets? Like awesome cars, smoke bombs, and black suits?

Dislikes:

• No Batman. :( Because this a young Bruce, he isn't Batman yet. You saw bits and pieces of the person he is to become, but he never actually says, I'm Batman. It would have been nice to have that.

• A few questionable things. Like allowing an eighteen-year-old to work as a janitor in an asylum for community service? Especially in the intense ward? And Bruce falling in love with Madeline, although he doesn't have the best track record with girlfriends.

• Maybe not that dark? It's Batman, so I thought it would be a bit darker. But he is younger, so I'll excuse this.


Liked Least


Lemons- Melissa Savage

My Rating: 3 stars (although in retrospect, I wish I had rated it 2)

Likes:

• Not really anything? This just wasn't the book for me.

Dislikes:

• Lemon. And Tobin. Lemon was weird and didn't talk like a twelve year old, and Tobin was whiny. Neither of them spoke to me.

• So predictable. I've read this plot before. City girl loses parent, moves to the country with a relative she doesn't know, and learns an important lesson. *rolls eyes* It was supposed to be a look a grief, but you could tell it was written by a therapist. Plus, I guess the big plot twist a million miles away.



The Fault in Our Stars- John Green

My Rating: 2 stars

Likes:

• Again, not really anything. Kill me now, but I didn't like this book and I didn't get the hype.

Dislikes:

• Hopeless and defeatist (to quote Hazel's dad). Both Hazel and Gus were just so sad and hopeless, it made me sad. And not the good way. I was looking for a story of hope in bad times, but I didn't get that. Because of that, I couldn't get into this book. Although, I guess I liked Hazel a little.


Notable Mention


Amazing Fantastic Incredible- Stan Lee

If you're a Marvel fan, you should check this book out. It's a great memoir by Stan Lee about his life, told in graphic novel form, of course. It's funny, marvelous (get it?), and sounds just like Stan. I learned a lot from it.

Other Books

To All the Boys I've Loved Before- Jenny Han (3 stars)

Let's talk! What have you read this month? Have you ever hated a book everyone else loves? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

April Book Reviews
Book Review: The Defiant

Comments

Popular Posts