My Favorite Book Tropes

My Favorite Book Tropes

I saw a few other people (Red Gal Musings and I thought Paper Fury, but I can't find the post, so maybe it was on Instagram or someone else did it?) doing a post like this, so I decided to steal borrow the idea. Besides, I don't really think I've done many of my favorite sort of posts. Maybe I should more. Let me know in the comments what you think.

Anyway, let's talk about tropes! We've discussed tropes before, but this time, I'm talking about the ones I love. The ones that will probably make me pick up a book and read it immediately.

Royalty

As I may have mentioned in my last post, I love royalty. Princesses, queens, empresses. All the works. If I find a book about royalty, I'll probably pick it up.


The Roaring 20s

Maybe not the best time period to be fascinated with, but I have been forever. There was just so much going on, plus the whole juxtaposition of the flappers versus the fashionable rich girls is so interesting. And you can't forget the gangsters.

Fashion design

If it's a book about clothes, I'm in. Heck, I'm in if the girl on the cover has a beautiful dress. That may or may not be the reason I have picked up many books.

Boarding school

I've also had a long fascination with boarding school. Probably because I'm homeschooled and we don't have a lot of them in the States. It likely stems back from my The Little Princess days now that I come to think of it. I'm highly likely to pick up a book set in one of these schools.

Dragons

Give me all the dragons! Small dragons, big dragons, mean dragons, sweet dragons, I don't care. If a book is about, or has dragons in it, I'm there.


Mythology inspired fantasy

I blame Rick Riordan for this one. Now I'm interested in all sorts of book inspired by mythology, especially the ones his company is coming out with. Mythology has so many facets, I don't know if you could run out of ideas.

Superheroes

I may have also mentioned before I love superhero novels and think there should be more. That's why I always pick any book about superheroes I can find, if it seems like a good book.

Discovering a new world

Ever since Narnia, I've always wanted to find another world myself. Hasn't every kid tried the back of every wardrobe they can find? Since I haven't found one yet, I will have to content myself with reading about others discovering new worlds instead.


Satirical fantasy

When fantasy makes fun of fantasy, I'm in. I love ones that make me laugh about my favorite genres. Like The Last Dragonslayer or Discworld.

Wonderland

Anything inspired by Alice in Wonderland I will probably give a try. Most of the time, they're too dark for my taste, but I still love Wonderland.


Anything set in England

I'm sucker for anything set in England, probably due to my being raised on things like Doctor Who and Pride and Prejudice. It doesn't matter what era, I'll probably read it.

Fairytale Retellings

Fairytales are an endless source of inspiration and I love seeing how people interpret them. I also love realizing halfway through a book that it is a fairytale retelling.

Well, this was fun. I've probably forgotten a bunch, but these ones will do. Maybe I should do a second post on tropes I avoid. That could be fun.

Also, side note, my family is going on vacation/work trip this week. I'm going to try to keep up with social media and the blog, but if I'm slow to respond or miss something, please excuse me. I'm trying to avoid stress while on this trip.

Let's talk! What tropes do you love? Any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Literature Tropes: Are They Good or Bad?
4 Things That Make Me Put Down Books

Comments

  1. Ooh I like these muchly! Particularly the Roaring 20s. That's a setting I'd love to learn more about--pretty much the only Jazz Age thing I've read is The Great Gatsby, but it's such a colorful time period that there HAS to be lots of story fodder in it.

    Fairy retellings, royalty, new worlds--yes, yes, yes. Such fun.

    Great post, Rachel! You should definitely do more in this vein. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1920s is a fascinating age. So much was going on.

      Thanks. This post was fun to do, so I'd love to do more like it.

      Delete
  2. Mythology based fantasy retellings are definitely a favorite trope of mine :).

    Awesome post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts