Author Spotlight: N. D. Wilson

Author Spotlight: N. D. Wilson

N. D. Wilson is one of my earliest writing inspirations from when I was just a small sprout of a writer. He was the person who showed me that you could be a Christian author that writes to glorify God without cramming the gospel down people's throats. So let's take a look at him and what he's written.


Biography

Nathan David Wilson is the son of pastor Douglas Wilson and Nancy Wilson. He went to a school that his father founded in Idaho and then graduated from New Saint Andrew's College. He has a master's degree in Liberal Arts from Saint John's College. Wilson published his first children's book in 2007. He is married and has five children. (I have friends who met him and I am so jealous.) Two years ago he had to have a brain tumor removed and hasn't done much since.

Books

100 Cupboards Series
1. 100 Cupboards
2. Dandelion Fire
3. The Chestnut King
0.5. The Door Before

Ashtown Burials (which remains sadly unfinished at the moment)
1. The Dragon's Tooth
2. The Drowned Vault
3. Empire of Bones

Outlaws of Time
1. The Legend of Sam Miracle
2. The Song of Glory and Ghost
3. The Last of the Lost Boys

Leepike Ridge
Boys of Blur
Hello Ninja
Blah Blah Black Sheep
Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl

What I Enjoy About His Work

The first thing I love about Wilson's work is what I mentioned in the beginning. His ability to be a Christian author and still write books that I can find on my library shelf. He showed me that I can write fantastical stories with magic and other worlds and not go against the Bible. His works have the epicness of C. S. Lewis with his own  unique flavor.

I also love the worlds he creates. I devoured the first three books of Ashtown Burials and I'm still looking for book four. He takes the things I love about classic literature and combines them with more humor and a fresh take.

He also has a unique way of looking at things, as shown in his non-fiction book, Notes from a Tilt-a-Whirl. (Which I totally recommend you read.) His writing style is easy to follow and very clear, while still managing to spin amazing tales. I've read practically everything he's written, including his picture books.


Have you read anything by N. D. Wilson? Who is an author that heavily influenced you? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:


Comments

  1. N.D. Wilson is one of my favorite authors!!! I love all of his books. <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of his books, but I would love to! An author that inspires me is Bryan Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. They're great. And I love Bryan Davis's books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts