Small Ways to Feel More Productive

Small Ways to Feel More Productive

Americans are all about being productive these days. Whether or not that's a good thing, I'm not sure. On one hand, it's good to be motivated and know how to use time well. On the other, it's not always good to go at 100% 24/7. More people are having mental health problems these days and I think our push to always be working may have something to do with that.

But that's not what we're here to talk about today. Instead, I'm going to share some small ways you can feel more productive without a lot of work. If you think that's an oxymoron, it's not. A lot of feeling productive is in your head anyway. Some days I get three things done and feel accomplished, others I get five or six and still feel unsatisfied. Let's take a look at some ways you can feel the former and not the latter. (I may make a part two as well, because I have some more tips.)



Accomplish something small

I love nothing more than the feeling of managing to cross something off my to-do list before a certain time in the morning. That's why it's great to find something small that you can do quickly and easily first thing. It leaves you with a good feeling that you can carry through to the rest of the day. And a positive outlook always helps with accomplishing things.


Do the small stuff first

To go with tip one, try knocking out all the small things on your to-do list before anything else. It can get them out of the way quickly and since they're all small, it won't take you very long so you can get on to the bigger things.


Or, start with the big one

You know that big thing on your to-do list? The one you look at and go "ugh"? Yeah, start with that one. It's the opposite of the previous tip, but it can be just as effective. Instead of saving the thing you don't want to do until last, then ending up pushing it off until another day and feeling bad, just get it done. It's the whole swallow the frog technique.

As a side note on tips two and three, both can be effective. It mostly depends on your personality and the day. Some days you may have the energy to start with the big thing. Other days it may work better to quickly smash your way through a few smaller ones. Or you might just be the sort of person that has to start small and work your way up. Experiment and know what works best for you.


Make mini goals

These are not the type of goals that you work your life around. I mean mini goals like working on only that blog post you have to write for the next thirty minutes. I find it's very effective to set time goals for myself. It helps me focus and stay on track. You could also make a mini goal of getting all your housework done today or having that video done by the end of week. Then, have a mini celebration when you accomplish your mini goal.


Take time for what you love

We all have those things we have to do and those things we want to do. I always feel more productive when I take time for the things I love each day. It can be as simple as setting aside half an hour to draw or play your instrument or just read. But I know I feel less satisfied on those days when I can't take a little time for what I love than on the days I do.



There are lots of other ways to feel more productive, such as breaking down a big goal into smaller ones or remaining flexible, but these are my favorite tips. Don't forget to share with someone you think it could help! Next month I plan on doing an accompanying post on small ways to relax, so stay on the lookout for that.



Which of these tips is your favorite? Do you have any small ways to be productive? Tell me in the comments!

Suggested Posts:

How to Motivate Yourself: 6 Easy Tips
The KonMari Method: My Thoughts and Tips


Comments

  1. YES these tips are AWESOME. One way that I find to be more productive is to write everything down in a list and put it on the middle of my desk. Then I can't really forget about doing stuff. XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another good one. I like to do a similar thing with a virtual sticky note sometimes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts