2020 Movies I Want to See: Part 2

2020 Movies I Want to See: Part 2

Welcome back to the second part of my 2020 movies posts. This post will focus on non-Disney films that are set to be released this year. There are quite a few sequels coming out, plus two musicals, both of which I'm looking forward to.






Dolittle- January 17

Plot: Dr. John Dolittle lives in solitude behind the high walls of his lush manor in 19th-century England. His only companionship comes from an array of exotic animals that he speaks to on a daily basis. But when young Queen Victoria becomes gravely ill, the eccentric doctor and his furry friends embark on an epic adventure to a mythical island to find the cure.

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Emma Thompson, Selena Gomez, Ralph Fiennes, Rami Malek, and a whole ton more.

My Thoughts: I've read the first Doctor Dolittle book and it was pretty cute. So far this movie is looking to be a fun family film, with lots of big named actors and talking animals. I'm excited to see RDJ in the titular role as well.




Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)- February 7

Plot: After splitting with the Joker, Harley Quinn joins superheroes Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya to save a young girl from an evil crime lord, Black Mask in Gotham City.

Cast: Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ewan McGregor, Rosie Perez, and Ella Jay Basco.

My Thoughts: This is probably the least appropriate one on the list. But it looks really fun, so I want to watch it. I may not even like it but I'm willing to try. There's something so charismatic about Harley Quinn, you know?


Emma- February 21

Plot: Following the antics of a young woman, Emma Woodhouse, who lives in Georgian- and Regency-era England and occupies herself with matchmaking - in sometimes misguided, often meddlesome fashion- in the lives of her friends and family.

Cast: Anya Taylor-Joy, Johnny Flynn, Josh O'Connor, and Bill Nighy

My Thoughts: Will any adaptation ever be able to top the Gwyneth Paltrov version? Probably not. However, the trailer for this one was so well cut that I'm looking forward to it. It looks a bit more humorous than some versions have been before. 


Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway- April 3

Plot: Despite his efforts, Peter can't seem to shake his reputation for mischief among the other rabbits. Once he adventures out of the garden Peter finds himself in a world where mischief is appreciated, but soon his family come to bring him home.

Cast: James Cordon, Domhnall Gleeson, Daisy Ridley, Margot Robbie, and Rose Byrne

My Thoughts: The first Peter Rabbit movie was a bit surprise to me. It was so good and my whole family loved it. So far this one looks good as well, although I'm always afraid things like this will fall prey to the sequel syndrome (and is awful).


Wonder Woman 1984- June 5

Plot: In 1984, Diana Prince comes into conflict with two formidable foes: Maxwell Lord and the Cheetah, while reuniting with her past love Steve Trevor.

Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, and Robin Wright

My Thoughts: My top question at the moment is: how is Steve back from the dead? Is it a trap? Also, why wasn't Cheetah in the trailer as Cheetah? Wonder Woman was good, so I'm looking forward to this one even if I have a lot of questions.


In the Heights- June 26

Plot: Explores three days in the New York City Dominican-American neighborhood of Washington Heights.

Cast: Anthony Ramos, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Stephanie Beatriz, Dascha Polanco, and Corey Hawkins

My Thoughts: The first trailer came out like a month ago and I am so excited! In the Heights is Lin's first big Broadway show and if you haven't listened to the music from it, go listen to it right now. I can't wait to see it brought to the big screen (even if I'll probably cry).


Free Guy- July 3

Plot: A bank teller called Guy realizes he is a background character in an open world video game called Free City that will soon go offline.

Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Jodi Comer, Joe Keery, and Taika Waititi

My Thoughts: I watched the trailer because Ryan Reynolds and it actually looks like a pretty interesting concept. Kind of like Ready Player One or something. And Reynolds character just seems funny.


Minions: Rise of Grue- July 3

Plot: Unreleased as of yet, but going by the title, it will be about the Minions and young Gru.

Cast: Steve Carell and Pierre Coffin.

My Thoughts: Personally, I'm not sure why this movie is being made. Minions was decent and I feel like it lead up well to Despicable Me. I don't see why it needs a sequel (except for the fact the first one made a lot of money) or why we need more of Gru's backstory. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.


Ghostbusters: Afterlife- July 10

Plot: When a single mother and her two children move to a new town, they soon discover that they have a connection to the original Ghostbusters and their grandfather's secret legacy.

Cast: Bill Murrary, Dan Aykroyd, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, and Paul Rudd.

My Thoughts: Going by the first trailer, they should have called it "Stranger Things: The Movie". It will be interesting to see what they do with this movie, especially after the disaster that was the female reboot. But it has Paul Rudd, so that's something, right?


Venom 2- October 2

Plot: No synopsis is available yet. Going by the end of the last movie, it will have Carnage, though.

Cast: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Woody Harrelson, Naomi Harris, and Reid Scott.

My Thoughts: Venom was another movie that I was surprised by liking. It wasn't as scary as I thought and was actually pretty funny. However, Carnage is in the sequel and he's much worse than Venom, so we shall see.


Death on the Nile- October 9

Plot: Detective Hercule Poirot investigates the murder of a young heiress aboard a cruise ship on the Nile River.

Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, and Letitia Wright

My Thoughts: I quite enjoyed the Murder on the Orient Express movie they made, so this one sounds good as well. However, I will need to read the book before I see the movie. Like the first, it also has an impressive cast lined up.


Godzilla vs Kong- November 20

Plot: Fearsome monsters Godzilla and King Kong square off in an epic battle for the ages, while humanity looks to wipe out both of the creatures and take back the planet once and for all.

Cast: Millie Bobby Brown, Alexander Skarsgard, Kyle Chandler, and Brian Tyree Henry.

My Thoughts: Warner Brother's monster universe thing has been kind of hit or miss so far. Godzilla and Kong weren't too bad, but I didn't like Godzilla King of Monsters. It ought to be interesting to see how this one plays out.


West Side Story- December 18

Plot: Two teenagers from different ethnic backgrounds fall in love in 1950s New York City.

Cast: Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zeglar, Maddie Zieglar, and Mike Faist.

My Thoughts: I will be interesting to see what happens with this one. The original is so iconic and I just watched it again thinking, how are they going to remake this? I don't think it will as good as the original, but I hope it will still bring the same depth to the screen.



Are there any movies on this list that you're looking forward to? Which sequel do you think will be best? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

2020 Movies I Want to See: Part 1

Ranking All the Cinderella Stories!


Comments

  1. Death on the Nile and West Side Story, I'm interested in. I'll have to watch them when they come out.

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two of my tops picks as well. Can't wait to see them. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts