More Poor Characters, Please!

More Poor Characters, Please!

This is kind of a writing post, and kind of rant. So you've been warned before we start into it.


There are all types of people out in the world. America ain't called the melting pot for nothing. So why is it, that in all books and movies anymore, the protagonist always seems to be rich?

They can afford to go to private school. They have the latest technology. If they want anything, their parents will buy it for them, or they can buy it themselves with their huge allowance. They run around in sports cars and carry designer handbags.

YA protagonists rolling in the dough

I don't know about you, but that's not the way I grew up. No, my family isn't or hasn't been dirt poor. We've always had food on our table and a roof over our heads, and I am insanely thankful for that.

However, I've never known a life where money comes easily and can be thrown around. I've always had to work hard to earn things and so have my parents. It's the way I grew up and the way I was taught.

I know this isn't unusual, either. My family is well off compared to others. But if you were to look at the majority of YA protagonists, then I don't think you'd realize that.

I'm not trying to generalize here. There's been a definite shift in YA literature with the rise of things like Own Voices and diversity. That's great and I'm all for it.

And it's not like there's anything wrong with being rich. If God has blessed you that way, then that's great. Richer people have more opportunities to help others than those with less financial security. Some people don't know or understand another way of life.

However, I'm still tired of seeing all these rich white people running around in their Range Rovers and their Jaguars (points if you get that reference), living in giant houses, and complaining about trivial things. If that's petty of me, sorry. That's just the way I see it and you're welcome to argue your side of things in the comments.

I can't connect to people like that. I can, however, identify with the girl that can't afford to go out to eat. The guy who won't be going to collage because his parents can't pay for it and he only has an entry level job. The kids who have worked their butts off to afford their own used car.

I always loved Gwen's character because it brought light to an issue, without making her any less of a person.

That's the kind of world I know. That still might be luxurious to some and a foreign concept to others. Others of you might be nodding your heads right now.

I don't want poor pity characters either. Ones that make the protagonist feel bad or to be used as an example. If they open the eyes of the protagonist, then great, but I want more characters who are just people that happen to have less money.

I'm not trying to dis anyone. I just want for people to include more ranges of finance than just rich or upper class. Give me more middle class, lower class people. You don't have write rich people just because it's cool. If that's what your story needs, then great. But consider if a less well off situation could work just as well.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. Obviously, you don't have to agree. But I'm curious to see if anyone else feels similarly about this like I do.


What are your thoughts on this topic? Should there be more poor characters in books and movies? Tell me in the comments. (But keep it civil, please.)

Suggested Posts:

Stop Man Bashing

Disney Princess and Their Influence

Comments

Popular Posts