Alice in Wonderland Books Rated! (At Least the Ones I've Read)

Alice in Wonderland Books Rated! (At Least the Ones I've Read)

If you've been around the blog for a bit, it probably comes as no surprise to you that I am a fan of Alice in Wonderland. I adore the original books, the movies, and even wrote my own whole trilogy taking place in Wonderland (it's my passion project).

So today I'm going to rate all the books I've read about Alice in Wonderland or inspired by it. Let me know if you agree with my ratings in the comments. (And thank you to Goodreads for giving me several more to check out while making this post.)



9. Queen of Hearts

This book gets last place on the list because it was a disappointment to me. I had hoped for a tale about a villain that I might love, but instead got a book full of cruel and unlikable characters. I have forgotten most of this book except for the fact that it was super dark and I didn't like it. (Not to say it might be something one of you enjoy.)



8. After Alice

This one and the previous book are close ties for last place. This one is an adult book by the same author who wrote Wicked, and I didn't review it on Goodreads so I don't remember my thoughts (very nice, past me). However, I do remember that it was boring and dry and I didn't enjoy it either.



7. Heartless

Ah, Heartless, you broke my heart. *cries into a heart shaped pillow* This was another one I really wanted to like, since it's Wonderland and Marissa Meyer. But it was a lot harder to watch someone turn from a sweet girl who liked baking into someone who chops off heads than I thought. Plus, the one part we all knew would happen but I wish didn't have to. I know a lot of other people liked it, though.



6. Furthermore

Furthermore is one of the books inspired by Alice in Wonderland on this list. The story itself is nothing like the original, but more like paying homage to it. The main character's name is Alice and she's crazy and lives in a wacky world, but that's about the only similarity. If I had know that going in, I think I would have liked it even more (and I'm quite tempted to re-read it).



5. The Storybook of Legends

As for this book, the daughter of the Mad Hatter, Maddie, is one of the characters in this book, so that's why it's here. The story is about a school where all the kids of fairytale characters go and are either villains or heroes and how they decide to change things. It's a fun story and I adore Maddie's character. She's especially cute because she can hear the narrator of the book and talks to her, so everyone thinks she's crazy.



4. Coraline

And the final inspired-by book on this list. Coraline has a distinct twisted Alice in Wonderland/Narnia vibe to it. It's deliciously spooky and while I don't know if I'd read it again, it was a good book.



3. Splintered

Splintered is a rather dark trilogy about a girl who is related to the original Alice? (I don't remember, it's been a while.) It can be quite creepy in some places, but it's a well done series. A bit more on the adult side of YA, as a note of caution.



2. The Looking Glass Wars

It was a close call, but ultimately this series won out over Splintered. This one is a mix of fantasy, portal jumping, and all my favorite things about Wonderland. Matter Maddigan inspired my own Hatter quite a bit (and is obviously the best character in the series). Another one I should re-read.



1. Alice in Wonderland

Don't tell me you're surprised? How could the original not be at the top of this list? It's the thing that inspired all these books in one way or another. It's weird, quirky nature has captured our imaginations for generations and I hope it continues to do so in the future.



Which of these books have you read? Which are your favorites? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Book of the Month: The Looking Glass Wars

Great Stand-Alone Books to Read


Comments

Popular Posts