Great Stand-Alone Books To Read

Great Stand-Alone Books To Read

I had such a fun time making my post on stand-alone movies, I thought it would be fun to do one on stand-alone books. Long book series can be fun, but it's also nice to have a book you can read and be done with. Although sometimes those stand-alones can be quite long themselves.





A Monster Calls

I've probably talked about this book a lot, but it's one of those ones that sticks with you. It was such a powerful story, and with such interesting illustrations. It's about a little boy and  the stories a monster that appears outside his room tells him, helping him prepare for the fate of his mother. Be warned, you will need tissues.


Coraline

Spooky? Check. If you want something to scare you a bit, and don't mind creepy alternate worlds where people have buttons for eyes, then this book is for you. It's not very long, but Neil Gaiman packed a lot into it.


The Secret Garden

One of my favorite classics since childhood. It's about a little girl who moves to England after her parents die. There she learns to be a child and about the magic of life. It has all the whimsy and heart you could want from a book.


RoseBlood

Want a creepy, vampire and opera filled retelling of the Phantom of the Opera? Here you go. It's a bit more adult in content, but still a very enjoyable story. I was especially a fan because one of the characters played violin.


Ahsoka

I am a huge Ahsoka fan, and this book was everything I could ask for. It takes place after the fall of the Jedi order, as Ahsoka is trying to remain hidden and figure out what to do now. It was a great read and I think it brought her character to the page well.


All the Crooked Saints

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first read this book, but I was floored by it. It's about a ranch in Arizona and the miracles that happen there. But they aren't the sort of miracles you would expect. It's a story about finding yourself and love and so much more.


The Legend of Holly Claus

Have you ever wanted to read about the daughter of Santa Claus? Whether you have or haven't you will after you read this book. It's simply magical and it has the most drool worthy pictures. It's also a story of self-discovery and learning what true love is.


The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

Probably my first introduction to real nautical adventures. A young lady named Charlotte goes on a voyage across the sea, during which time she learns to be a sailor and there's a mutiny. It's very exciting and it made me want to go to sea. Now if someone would only make a movie. . .



Have you read any of these books? What are some of your favorite stand-alones? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

Excellent Stand-Alone Movies You Should Watch

Why You Should Read the Classics


Comments

  1. Nice post :) I read 'Coraline' this summer and I enjoyed it. It's a good book, short but really good! 'The Secret Garden' was my set book in the primary school and I liked it very much. I've heard about 'The Monster Calls' and I have to give it a go! There's also a movie and I'd like to see it as well, but firstly -- book ;) Books I've enjoyed lately are 'Pax' by Sara Pennypacker, 'The Cabin' by Natasha Preston or 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green. Have you ever read these ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read The Fault in Our Stars and I wasn't a big fan. The other ones sound interesting though. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, a Monster Calls was SO GOOD. <33 I loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the Crooked saints sounds good! I want to read the secret garden. I like quite a few stand alone books. Nightmare City, and If We Survive, by Andrew Klavan are both good. Princess Bride is a great one and Half Moon Investigations.

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Princess Bride! One of my many favorite books.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts