YouTube Channels for Writers

YouTube Channels for Writers

A couple of weeks ago I put together a list of resources for writers, from websites to podcasts. However, that list was long enough without adding all the YouTube channels I find useful for my writing. Thus, today you're getting that list.


Writing



If you subscribe to one person on this list, chose this one. Abbie Emmons, right up there with K. M. Weiland, has transformed my writing. She breaks things down so easily, and has lots of lovely worksheets. I could go on and on forever, but just take my word and go subscribe to her.


If you're like me and better at learning story structure through film, this channel is perfect. He looks at movies and makes videos about various topics, from the elements of surprise to active protagonists. All in a short amount of time.


Sadly, this channel is no longer active, but please check out their backlog of videos. Each and every one is a gem. My father got me into this channel and while it is more movie making centric, there's a lot you can get from it.


Again, this is a more movie centric channel, but he talks a lot about the writing and elements of these movies in a way that could be used for any medium. Yeah, his videos can be a bit weird, but weird is okay in the right way.


Another channel that examines storytelling through the lens of cinema. But their videos are extremely helpful and easy to understand, giving use to all mediums.

Extras
(Clothing, swords, science)



She makes videos all about the history of clothes. How could I not put her on this list? Seriously, though, I've learned so much about period clothing and how it's used in film since subscribing to her. Plus, she is gorgeous and wears period clothing on a daily basis.


Very similarly to Bernadette, she talks about period clothing. Hers are a lot more ranty than Bernadette, but she has some good ones. She likes to make comedy videos about period clothes as well, which are hilarious.


She's a stage fighter and she makes videos about fighting. It's an excellent resource if you want to learn more about how to choreograph your book fight scenes. Even though it's on paper, the same rules apply. (She's also just incredibly amusing to watch.)


Another no longer active channel, but still has plenty of incredibly useful old videos. It looks at science in pop culture and you can learn a lot. What to know the pros and cons of real invisibility, or the power of flight? This is the place.


After leaving Because Science, Kyle made his own channel where he talks about very similar things, but in ways that he wants. I haven't seen a lot of his new videos, but I know they'll teach you just as much as his old ones. Using math and science of course.


A recently discovered channel of mine. Shad, the creator, is an Australian who loves medieval weaponry and fighting tactics and makes all sorts of cool videos. I saw his one on love at first sight first, and then kept going from there. I currently have a video of his on weapons for fantasy warriors on my watch later that looks fascinating.


Do you have any favorite writing channels? Are you following any of these? Tell me in the comments!

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Abbie Emmons's videos are the only way that I've won NaNoWriMo two years in a row. I wouldn't have had any idea of how to plot without her videos! All of the rest of these look really neat, so I'll be sure to watch some of them! Already from just looking at the channels quickly my watch list is much longer than it was before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that. My watch later haunts me. But Abbie Emmons is a queen!

      Delete
    2. @MovieCritic, I agree with you. Abbie rocks!

      Delete
  2. I need to check these out love Bernadette and Karolina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Abbie Emmons! Her videos are amazing. I haven't seen the others yet. I'll have to watch some. They sound cool, and it's always great to get more writing advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts