My Mermay 2022 Drawings!

My Mermay 2022 Drawings!

If you follow the art community, you know that May is Mermay. Pretty much a challenge where you draw mermaids all month long. Because I love drawing mermaids, I decided to join in more this year.

And since you guys always seem to enjoy looking at my art, here's a round-up of all the drawings I completed. I'll also include the prompt and any interesting tidbits about the drawings.

As an added challenge for myself, I decided to do a lot of these in ten to fifteen minutes. I wanted to do it without a lot of pressure to create something great. As a result, some of them aren't great. But that's okay. I tried things, I played, and I made art.


1- Workers. As a former retail worker, I knew I had to draw a mermaid cashier. As you can tell, she is done with putting up with people and their stupidity for the day.


2- Siren. I tried to create a scary siren, but I'm not sure how well it worked. It was fun to stray from my normal mermaid style.


3- Glossy. Another I tried, it didn't work. It just feels messy, not glossy.


4- Star Wars Day. I always draw a Star Wars character as a mermaid for Star Wars day. This year I took a poll on my art Instagram and Cara Dune won. I had a lot of fun recreating her look this way.


5- Symbiotic. A surprise favorite, inspired by pictures of algae and coral (who have a symbiotic relationship). She's super cute.


6- Doodle. Since the prompt was doodle, I turned on the timer and just did what I felt like for ten minutes. I think it's pretty decent.


7- Ghostly. A ghost mermaid. She looks a bit more on fire, but that could be because it's black and white.


9- Sea life. As soon as I saw this prompt, I had the image of a #sealife shirt. So we have this kind of visco girl inspired mermaid. She's one of my favorites from the whole month.


10- Vibe. I tried to just do a mermaid that had mermaid vibes, but I don't think it came out great.


11- Superstar. Sabrina Carpenter at the Met Gala, but a mermaid. Also not great or recognizable.


12- Mermaze. This is a toy brand that Mermay teamed up with on the challenge. The dolls are actually pretty cute, so I drew this one inspired by the fluffy pink haired one.


13- Cyberpunk. I love cyberpunk, but I don't totally love the way I did this. I'd love to do it again with more time and effort.


14/15- Cozy/pet. A mermaid in a cozy sweater holding her cat fish. Simple, but cute.


16- Electronic Gaming. I had so much fun making this little scene of a mermaid gaming on her Nintendo-inspired consol. I especially love her hair.


18- Pirate. I don't hate her, but I don't know if I love her. I do like how her hat came out.


19- Octopus. I love octopuses, so I had a lot of fun drawing this warrior queen inspired by the poisonous blue ringed octopus. She looks so otherworldly and awesome.


20- Diamond.
 Just a simple mermaid in a diamond inspired top. I like her short hair.


 21- Peace. This is the one I spent the most time on, if you couldn't tell. I had extra time, so I decided to paint this watercolor mermaid drifting in a pond. It's not perfect, but it's one of those pieces I look and go "I made that?!".


23- Warrior. I wasn't feeling inspired to create my own warrior, so I drew Mulan as a mermaid instead. I like it because I think you can recognize it without being told.


24- Social butterfly. I like the concept I came up with, but not so much what I drew. I would love to try drawing this one again.


25- Relax. The pose is so stiff and awkward. I kinda hate this one.


27- Fearful. A mermaid hiding in some rocks. Is it perfect? No. But it was fun to draw.


28- Ethnic. I've always loved Indian fashion, so I decided to draw a mermaid in a sari. I did not use a reference photo, and it shows. Which is so sad, because I think the mermaid is cute and the picture has a lot of motion. I might redraw this one too.


29/30- Comic book/Impulsive. Miss Marvel is one of those characters I didn't think I'd like, but I ended up loving. She fits both prompts. The drawing isn't great, but I still like it.


31- Potion. I love those drawings of potion bottles with something inside, so I did the same with a mermaid. Because it was the final one, I even pulled out the markers and colored it.

So there you go! I feel pretty proud of how many I did, and it was a great chance to work on quickly creating a figure.


Which of these is your favorite? If you got to design a mermaid, what would she look like? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. These are so cool! I especially love (brace yourself, it's a lot): 3, 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14/15, 16, 19, 28.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂 I'm glad you had a lot of favorites!

      Delete
  2. I like the Star Wars day one, the coloring on it is awesome, so vibrant. :)
    I like #19 and #21 as well, they are both creative and beautiful to look at, I love the lily pads in #21.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a lot of fun making them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts