5 Highly Atmospheric Reads

5 Highly Atmospheric Reads

Don't you love a book that drops you into a setting so real, it feels like you're there? I know I do. Books where I can see everything and be right there with the characters. If you want some books like that, here are five excellent ones for you.



1. Rebecca

Part murder mystery, part romance, this novel is super atmospheric. There's a manor house with a mysterious past and locked wings, full of paintings and metaphorical ghosts. While it's not perfect, it's the perfect late fall afternoon read.


2. Truly Devious

Want a mystery in a boarding school in the mountains of Vermont? This is it. It has weird characters, hidden passageways, and a murder most foul. (Points if you get that reference.) It's a little gory and anxiety inducing in places, but well written.


3. Lord of the Rings

I had to include this. Lord of the Rings is such a complex, well developed world. From the Shire to Rohan to Mordor, it's filled with iconic locations. It feels like you could just wander out into the world and stumble across it somehow.


4. All the Wrong Questions

A mysterious series set in a small sea side town, starring our favorite character- Lemony Snicket. This series is about his younger years, and while it leaves you with more questions than answers, it's so well written that you love it.


5. Strange the Dreamer

Another fantasy book to round our our list. Strange the Dream has a lush world that I can't wait to revisit. It has so many cool elements that work so well together. Top that off with an engaging story and richly developed characters, and you have an amazing book.


Do you prefer fantasy or mystery reads? Have you read any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. I've read LOTR, and I really love All The Wrong Questions! I know I've mentioned it before, but I never fail to bring it up, lol. "Stained-by-the-Sea" is SUCH a cool location. I've been hearing about Truly Devious a lot lately, so it was cool to see it on this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stained-by-the-Sea is one of the best parts of the book and what makes it so atmospheric to me!

      Delete
  2. I love Rebecca and Lord of the Rings, they both do a wonderful job at setting up atmosphere in their settings. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts