My Favorite Lord of the Rings Characters

My Favorite Lord of the Rings Characters

Since it's Middle Earth March, I wanted to do something fun and LoTR themed to celebrate. My family has been watching through the Hobbit and LoTR movies again, and I plan to re-read the books this year. Thus, wanted to talk about my favorite characters and why I love them.




Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Who doesn't love this hobbit? I've always had a soft spot for him because he's more like me, preferring to stay inside and read than go on adventures. But when he's thrown into one anyway, he rises to the occasion. He also takes in his nephew after his parents die and loves old maps. I'm especially in love with Martin Freeman's portrayal in the movies, which is so well done.


Legolas

Legolas

I have been in love with Legolas since I first saw him in the movies and then when I read the books. (I am still in love with him to this day and did not spend several minutes looking at the Google image results while finding this picture.) Tolkien didn't make him your classic, haughty elf. He's a prince who left his kingdom for a life of adventure, and he's incredibly funny and sarcastic in the books. His friendship with Gimli is one of the best in the trilogy.


Eowyn

Eowyn

There aren't a lot of female character in LoTR, but Eowyn is the queen of them all. She's fierce, beautiful, and willing to fight for her country. She's the person who defeated the king of the Nazgul. She disguised herself and Merry and went to battle. And she found true love and healing through Faramir. She. Is. Awesome.


Faramir

Faramir

Speaking of, let's talk about this guy. One of my biggest problems with him in the movie is the fact that he succumbs for a time to the temptation of the One Ring. In the book, he refuses it, knowing it is what caused his brother's death. He's a forgotten second son, trying to prove himself. He leads his men fearlessly and helps Eowyn heal physically and mentally. He is one of the most valiant men in all the Lord of the Rings.


Galadriel

Galadriel

Another queen among the female characters. We see so little of her in the movies, but in the books, the Similarillon especially, you see what an amazing elf she is. She can see into people's minds. She led a rebellion and ruled Lothlorian. In the book, she helps throw down Dol Guldur. Again, her portrayal in the movies is perfect, showing her power and grace.

Obviously, I love all of the characters from the books. They're all like dear friends to me. These are just some of my highlights. After I read the Simarillion again, I might do a similar post with characters from there.



Who are your favorite Lord of the Rings characters? Do you like how they were in the movie? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:

It's So Classic Book Tag

Using Movies to Learn Writing


Comments

  1. Legolas and Bilbo are some of my favorites too!!! Although I love them all, so it's kinda hard to pick just one. X'D I'd say Gandalf is /probably/ my overall favorite though. XP I do like them all both in the books and the movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gandalf is great. Always there with a word of wisdom when you need him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts