Revisiting My Old Novels!

Revisiting My Old Novels!

Not every story idea makes it past the first draft, or a round or two of editing. Sometimes you come to realize that while you may still love a story, it's not one you will publish or even show to others.

I thought it would be fun to look back on some of my old, abandoned ideas and novels like that. They are all special to me, even if you will never see them. (I'm pretty sure Scribbled Fiction did something like this, so shoutout to her for the idea.)


Three Teens Team

My very first superhero fic, inspired by a dream I had (already off to a great start). It's a team of three teenage superheroes (as I'm sure you couldn't guess) who had superhero adventures. The stories sucked, but I enjoyed writing them, and my love of superhero novels continues to this day.

The superheroes themselves weren't super unique. There was a boy who could turn to iron and had tech skills, a boy who could fly anything and pilot jets with his mind, and a girl who could turn invisible and had a spider-sense for villains. At the time, I even drew up their logos and made sketches of them, which you will never see.

Zilmannio Duology

The first book in this series, The Princess and the Bullfrog, was partially inspired by the fairytale and the song title Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog. It's a portal fantasy about a boy named Kay who goes on an adventure to another world after his best friend is turned into a frog by a magical charm. It was my first full length novel and I enjoyed it so much, I wrote a sequel.

While it falls into some cliches, I feel like this is where I really started learning and understanding concepts like plot structure, character arcs, and world building. Plus, it has some of my all time favorite characters. From Kay, the break-dancing sword fighter, to his eventual girlfriend Sleeno to Tuaslee, the sarcastic elf, I love all of them. I think this novel is what made me realize I could be a writer.

The Boy Who Stopped

This novella was written strictly out of my dislike for the ending of the Little Match Girl. I wanted to give her a happy ending. So I wrote a whole story about a little girl who wanders into a fairytale world where people live out fairytales they are assigned and go home happy at the end of the day. I don't know if it's any good, but her guardian was a phooka, and he was amazing.

Pirate Attack

If you were to guess I wrote this right after watching Pirates of the Caribbean, you would be right. It's almost more a fanfic of it than an original story. It amuses me for its clear knock-off and cringey writing. Not to say I haven't thought of using some of the ideas and characters in another story. But I don't know if that will ever happen.

The Magic Tree

My far too short, far too strange attempt at urban fantasy. I didn't fully understand the concept and more set up a fantasy world that had things like pizzerias and buses. It had some cool concepts and characters, but even while writing it, I could tell it wasn't going anywhere.

Lucy's Story

I think this is probably most different thing I've ever written. It's something I felt called to write, so I did. It's about a woman named Lucy who's a single mother trying to raise her daughter who she just got back from foster care. At the same time, you see the story of how she got where she is in a series of diary entries at the end of every chapter.

It's a story I think God sent to me, and maybe someday I'll do something with it. It feels important somehow. But because it's so different from my normal fantasy/sci-fi writing, I'm not sure what to do with it.

The Geek, the Jock, the Rebel and How They Saved the World

Another one of my all time favorite works. I wrote this in high school as part of a novel writing course I took. As the name suggests, it's about three unlikely friends who have to stop aliens from obliterating all life on Earth and go on a big space adventure.

Besides the amazing title, this novel was 100% born from my hatred of Justin Bieber. No joke. I based the concept around "what if a famous pop star who I happen to hate was actually an alien?" and went from there. I think it's a pretty decent story, although I haven't read it in a long time, and I'm a little afraid to in case it's not as good as I remember.


Which of these sound the most interesting to you? What's your favorite novel you don't plan to publish? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

Popular Posts