5 More Magical Movies

5 More Magical Movies

I did a few months ago talking about some of my favorite magical movies. You enjoyed it and so did I, so I'm back with a part two, covering some of the ones I didn't get to in the first post. (And after writing this, I find I have enough for a part three, so you'll probably see one in the future.)


Kubo and the Two Strings


This stop-motion film is beautiful to look at and is an amazing movie. It was nominated for two Academy Awards, which it lost to Disney, which is a pity. It takes a lot of inspiration from traditional Japanese art and amazes me each time I watch it. The plot may be a bit predictable, but the rest of it is so good, I don't mind.


When Marnie Was There


Another one of my absolute favorite Studio Ghibli films. It's about a girl named Anna who goes to live with some relatives and discovers secrets hidden in an old marsh house. The first time through, you're very confused the whole time, but the more times you watch it, the better it gets. I love the atmosphere of this film, as well as the characters and how I relate to them.


Mary and the Witch's Flower


If you've ever wanted a Harry Potter meets anime movie, this is the film for you. It's got witches, creepy creatures, a haunted forest. As well as beautiful animation, a great plot, and pretty score. It's not Studio Ghibli, but it looks very similar and is well done. How can you not love that little red haired witch? (You can currently watch it on Netflix if you have a subscription.)


Maleficent

If I'm going to write a fantasy scene, I always go for the Maleficent soundtrack. This is one of Disney best live-action adaptations to date, taking the original tale and completely turning it on its head. I love this movie from the first time I saw it. The animation, the fairy world, the story. It's so beautiful.


Peter Pan (2003)


When preparing to write Lost Girls last year, I watched several Peter Pan adaptations. This one surprised me with its beauty and simplicity. They captured all the characters so well and the score is amazing. I know this is many people's favorite version, and after watching, I can see why.



What are some of your favorite magical movies? Have you watched any of these? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

  1. Kubo and the Two Strings is such an incredible movie! I've only seen it once, but it's one that I don't think I could get tired of. The 2003 Peter Pan has such a fun aesthetic. Oh, now I really want to see Mary and the Witch's Flower and When Marine was Alexa There! Malificent is one of those big movies that I haven't seen yet. These posts are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely watch them. It's so cool you've seen Kubo! I'd love to watch it again myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts