10 Steps to Writing a Short Story

10 Steps to Writing a Short Story

I've been getting into writing short stories recently. I'm still far from good at them, but I'm working to improve all the time. I don't feel confident enough to write a post on how to write a good short story, but I thought I would share my process for going from nothing to finished product. I hope it might help someone else looking to start writing short fiction as well.


1. Find inspiration

Sometimes I already have an idea in mind for a short story, but other times I want to write one or need an idea (like for the contest I entered). So it's time to look for inspiration. A few sources I use:

•Look through your story ideas and see if any of them would work as a short piece
•Browse "fantasy inspiration" on Pinterest
•Use a song that sparks your imagination
•Find an interesting writing prompt

2. Brainstorm

Once you've found something to inspire you, it's time to brainstorm and come up with story. There are so many ways you can go, so many possibilities you could pursue. Only you will know which one is right for you. (Don't worry, if your first draft doesn't work, you can scrap it and start again.)

3. Mini outline

Some of you can probably skip this step. But I need at least a tiny outline before I start writing or my stories go nowhere. I just write a basic summary of the story like "one day character 1 meets character 2. . .". I will also sometimes write out what the conflict and goal is, and what complication arises, so I don't forget them.

4. Draft

Go forth and write! This is the fun part to me. Finally getting to write down the ideas and explore the story you've created. You can do all the previous steps in a day, but writing a short story always takes me a few days, depending how much time you have. But if you write faster, you can get it done quicker.

5. Round 1 edits

After writing your story, you should let it sit for a day or two before beginning round one of editing. This will be where you make your biggest changes. The original ending doesn't work? Write a new one. You don't like that one scene? Cut or replace it. I've even taken a completely different direction in my first round of edits.

6. Feedback

If you have a critique partner or something similar, this is a great time to get some feedback. See what they think and where it could be improved. If you don't have someone like that, just let it rest another few days before the next step.

7. Round 2 edits

Now it's time for more edits, based on what feedback you got and what other places you think need improvement. You're starting to get a solid grasp on the story you're telling at this point.

8. More feedback

If you'd like, you can then show your story to your critique partner again. They can tell you if it's really shaping up or if any parts are still needing improvements. Hopefully they'll think it's looking good. ;)

9. Final polishing

Any last edits. Grammar passes. Getting rid of all those tricksy adverbs. All those small, but important things that make your story really shine. Work that story until it's the best it can be.

10. Completion!

And you're finished! Post your story on your blog, or put up for sale on Amazon. Or just keep it for yourself. Share with only your family. Do whatever you want with it. Be proud that you wrote this, even if it's short (writing a good short story takes skill).


Have you ever written a short story? What does your process look like? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

Popular Posts