My Continued Frustration with Z-O-M-B-I-E-S

My Continued Frustration with Z-O-M-B-I-E-S

The first Z-O-M-B-I-E-S movie was surprising good for the premise. It had a lot of heart, a pretty cool world, and a very sweet romance with excellent chemistry. It had some flaws, but overall I quite enjoyed it. (If you want to read my post on it and learn more, you can read that here.)

However, I recently watched the sequel they made last year and wow, it had issues. It made me appreciate the first one even more. So I thought, since I wrote a post on the first one, why not talk about my frustrations with the second one as well. So here we go.



Addison

Might as well start with my least favorite part of both movies so far. (This is probably gonna get a little ranty.) In the first movie, I only liked Addison in her scenes with Zed. The two of them are great together. But on her own, she's just bland. Her one character flaw is that her hair is white, which is a big point in this movie.

Instead of hiding it under a wig, she wears it out in the open, having finally accept her big problem. Until she finds werewolves in the woods and they claim that her white hair means she's one of them.

She then spends the rest of the movie complain about the fact that she's never been accepted and doesn't have a pack. What are Zed and his friends? Or Bree, your supposed best friend? Do they not matter now that you think you're a werewolf?

And then, after all this, it turns out she's not a werewolf. She just has weird hair. (Until the after credits scene, which seems to imply she's part alien instead. Why would you make this choice, Disney Channel? Werewolves are one thing, aliens are another.)

She and Zed also have a whole thing in this movie about how only one of them can get what they want. Either Zed can become class president and let the zombies go to Prawn or Addison can become cheer captain, which means they won't. (It's complicated.) I felt like it was a really shallow attempt at conflict, while the part with her and him and being a werewolf was much more interesting.


Zed

Once again, Zed was my favorite character. Everything about him is lovable and sweet. Even when he makes wrong choices, you understand why. Sadly, there wasn't as much of him or him and Addison in this movie, which is one of the reason it sucks.

Zed has a lot of relatable problems in this movie. First of all, due to the werewolves being sighted, the town decides to reinforce some of their anti-monster laws, meaning he and Addison can no longer go to Prawn together like he wanted. Then, the werewolves come to town, and he struggles with jealousy that everything is easy for them while the zombies had to fight to get where they were.

That's relatable. It's always hard to be the first, harder to watch those who come after you have it easy. (I've experienced some of this as an oldest sibling.) He also has a hard time because it looks like of the werewolves is trying to steal his girl (even though he wasn't).

During the movie, the werewolves give Addison a necklace that will turn her into one of them, if she is one. He tries to convince her that she doesn't want to be a monster, because he knows first hand what that's like. But she's convinced that being one will make her better. So he steals the necklace.

Sure, it probably wasn't a good thing to do. But I understand why he did it. He didn't want her to be outcast and ostracized like he's been his entire life. Even if she thinks she's already been treated that way.

Zeddalso has some secondary conflict about continuing to come to terms with his more dangerous zombie side, which I quite enjoyed. There's a moment at the end where he embraces his zombie strength to save his friends I really like.


Some Other Loves

•The werewolves. They were so cool, and I liked their motivation and goals. It worked well with the story. I felt for these kids who are only trying to save their friends and family before they die.

•Zoey. She's so adorable, especially as she wants a werewolf to be her friend.

•Bucky! Don't ask me why I love him. He can do a straight up awful thing and I can still think he's the best.

•"We Own the Night". I am a big fan of any song that involves howling. I've linked it below for your enjoyment.



Some Other Frustrations

•Not enough of the things I liked from the first movie. Zedd and Addison. Cheerleading. The secondary characters like Eliza and Bree.

Why couldn't we get more of this cuteness?

•The plot. I can see what they were going for, but they missed the mark. It's always sad when a movie falls short of what it was trying to achieve.

•The music. It mostly felt like knock-offs the popular songs from the last five years. And the placement wasn't great.

•The town political system. Addison supposedly sees werewolves in the woods, and without even waiting to see if it's true or taking a vote, her mom immediately puts the monster laws back in place. And no one argues. They just agree.


Have you see this movie, and if you have, what were your thoughts? What's a movie that frustrates you a lot? Tell me in the comments.

Suggested Posts:



Comments

Popular Posts