A Simple Guide to Journaling

A Simple Guide to Journaling

I've been keeping a journal for a long time. My first entry in my first book is from April 9, 2007. But I have notebooks with attempted "diary keeping" from even a few years before that. And I've been writing in my diary/journal consistently since that day in 2007. Great snakes, I didn't realize I've been keeping a journal for so long.

You often hear people say that they'd love to a keep a journal, but they never do. I think that's because they don't realize how easy it is. In this post, I'll discuss the benefits of keeping a journal and how you can do it too. To me, journals and diaries are the same thing, but I'll use the word journal because it sounds more grown-up.

Why are you doing it?

If you're thinking of starting a journal, you need to know why you want to keep one. What do you plan to use it for? Record keeping? Remembering what happened in your life? To track things? Just to write your thoughts? You could even keep a fitness or health journal. Figure out your reason and devote your journal to it.

My reason is to both keep track of what happened in my life and to put down my thoughts. I'm the sort of person who has a hard time admitting my feelings to other people, even though I really want to. So writing them down in my journal helps me let them go and also makes it easier to talk about them to people. Sometimes I enjoy reading through my old journals or seeing what I was doing this time last year and see how things have changed.

Supplies

Journaling requires very little materials. It all depends on what is easiest for you. You need two things- something to write in and something to write with. For me, it's a lined notebook with a bookmark and a mechanical pencil. For other people it might be something fancy, like a ballpoint pen, or something digital, like a document on a computer. Go with what you like.

How to do it

It's very easy. Sit down, pull out your journal, and write away on whatever your chosen topic is. Your entry can be long or short, messy or neat, plain or decorated. Just make sure to date each entry so you remember what day you wrote it.

When I was young, I loved diary books (I still do, actually), so I started all my entries with "Dear Diary". When I reached the end of my diary, I would write a super dramatic last entry. However, I don't do that anymore. I do still start each new journal with an entry describing me. I guess in case I ever become famous and my journals are discovered and used to write my biography.

There are two keys to keeping a journal. Time and consistency. First, time is important. If you want to do this, you need to be committed. Promise yourself you'll take the time to sit down and write. And really, if you do set aside that time (for me it's before bed), it will actually help you. I always feel better after writing everything down in my journal.

Second, consistency. There are times it is okay not to write a journal entry for a month, but most of the time it's not. I suggest trying one entry a week for starters. Once you get used to it, you can figure out what writing schedule works for you. Every day? Whenever you have something to note? On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays? I try to write twice a week, though sometimes I can't do that.

I know it can be scary writing all your feelings down. But we bottle up stuff a lot, afraid to admit how we really feel. That's why having a journal can help. Consider it a friend you can tell anything and that won't judge. It doesn't matter if you make spelling or grammar mistakes. Besides, we are writers, right? Writing this stuff down can help you in other ways, like discovering your voice.

Give journaling a try and see how it goes. You can always stop. But I think a journal has many benefits, especially for mental health.

Let's talk! Have you ever kept a journal? What kind did you do? Do you like diary format books? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

  1. I loved your tip about not having to write every. Single. Day. Once a week, for starters, is great! Especially because it's the attempting to write every single day that often makes me quit.

    I wouldn't call myself a journaler, but I do have one, and write in it every so often, just to "update" on what I and my family have been doing and what changes have been going on.

    But I also write down on my hang-on calendar what I do every day, like "work" "ran 5 miles" "cleaned room" and stuff like that. Nothing too fancy, just what happened every day. :)

    Thanks for talking about this, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it and agreed with my points. I think journaling is a personal thing that can be done many different ways, so if you just like to write on your calendar, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts